Omni Pro Dry Food

Pet Stock are selling Buy one get one free 3kg bags of Omni Pro for $20. Just wondering if anyone has used it and what people's thoughts are?

I was using Supercoat but the pups were pooing like no tommorow - I know there are alot of high end dry foods out there, but I'm looking for something in the middle range price bracket.

http://www.omnipropet.net/canine_puppy.html

Edited by hastey

I've not used the product before but just went to the link. I'm not a fan of formulas that use ground yellow corn in general, also they have split the 'corn' product up so when added all together it would be the main ingredient.

I'm not sure which formula you plan to buy, but I've had a look at the Performance Formula and this is what it says:

Sporting breeds require high protein formulas that provide the nutrients to build and repair muscles. This formula provides quick energy sources from the 18% fat. Dogs obtain energy from a combination of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. This formula has a select blend of these ingredients and optimal levels of mineral for developing strong bones and teeth, excellent muscle tone, a shiny coat and firm, consistent stools.

Average Analysis

Crude Protein (average)

CrudeFat (average)

CrudeFiber (average)

Moisture (average)

Omega 6/3 Ratio

26.0%

18.0%

3.0%

8.0%

5:1

Ingredients

Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavoring, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Fish Meal, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Inulin (from chicory root), Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Iron Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Nicotinamide Bisulfite, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide.

Not surprisingly, rice is the second-top ingredient and corn by-products make up the third, fourth, and fifth ingredients. It includes beet pulp which is added so the dogs don't fart as much or as smelly as they ordinarily would on such a food. There seems to be a fair bit of salt too, but as it doesn't indicate what percentage is made up of salt, it's hard to determine if this is a problem or not. There seems to be a lot of added minerals too, which may not be a problem but you have to ask why they would add so many if their ingredients are sourced whole and from human grade suppliers.

It may or may not be better than supercrap - I don't have its ingredient list to hand. But IMO get the dogs off it as soon as you can b/c it's garbage and you can do much better.

HTH. :rolleyes:

Just had another look the large breed puppy and canned products are better than their other formulas - I'm not sure what the current ingredients are for supercoat to compare though.

We recently put our older dogs (Newfoundland, Shih Tzu X & Kelpie X Whippet) on the Lamb & Rice formula, the Shih Tzu has had itchy skin in the past but not a scratch since he's been on this and the Newf hasn't had a Hot Spot since. There was nothing wrong with the Kelpie X BUT her coat is now shinier than ever (and it was shiny beforehand) and sooo soft.

So we have had great sucess with it so far (been on it 2 months now) & will most likely keep using it.

I also fed my Border Terrier on the Performance mixture, didn't really have a problem except his coat lost it's harshness. Put him back on Eagle Pack and it's rough again.

We recently put our older dogs (Newfoundland, Shih Tzu X & Kelpie X Whippet) on the Lamb & Rice formula, the Shih Tzu has had itchy skin in the past but not a scratch since he's been on this and the Newf hasn't had a Hot Spot since. There was nothing wrong with the Kelpie X BUT her coat is now shinier than ever (and it was shiny beforehand) and sooo soft.

So we have had great sucess with it so far (been on it 2 months now) & will most likely keep using it.

I also fed my Border Terrier on the Performance mixture, didn't really have a problem except his coat lost it's harshness. Put him back on Eagle Pack and it's rough again.

Good to hear!! I've gone ahead and bought it.