Collars

"Training!", I hear you cry :thanks: . I'm taking my dog to obedience classes at a local club. For training, I use a flat collar.

I'm only after a well-mannered pet, who will walk next to me on a loose leash.

I intend to buy an extra collar (he's just outgrown one) and was wondering if a martingale type might make it easier to control him if I have hands full and he decides to pull? What about one of those hands free leashes? I realise that training is the only real way to stop him pulling.

Our dog is a male, desexed, 7 month old, standard poodle, about 25kg.

He's improving his loose leash walking, but sometimes pulls. Sometimes it's necessary to take him out with kids and another dog and it's very difficult to hold kids hands while crossing road, hold dog's leashes effectively etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks :D

I really like martingales for training and walking

Hands free leash might be an idea for when you are walking with kids, but he might get a bit tangled if he prances too much! If you want to try it without buying one just loop your lead handle through your belt

As you've already said, training really is the only real answer though!

Edited by shoemonster

The idea of a hands-free leash has always kind of worried me - what if your dog sees something really great (or something really scary) on the other side of the road and takes off? I get the impression that you could end up on your butt being dragged down the footpath. :D

Mind you, we've only ever had big dogs at our house (nothing smaller than a staffy bull). If your dogs are smaller then it might suit you fine.

I use a "hands free" leash for my collie girl. It is one from a "hunting shop" in Germany and you wear it like a handbag over your shoulder/across you upper body (don't know how to describe it better, will try to find a picture :D ).

I love to use it with her, she is extremely reliable with her loose leash walking and very well mannered.

But as amhailte said before, when using something like that on a (big) dog that is not reliable, you can have bad accidents. :clap:

I use a jogging belt with Manu (my greyhound cross) when I go running with him. But I have to admitt that I fell twice because he was going after a rabbit (which I haven't seen in the first place). :clap:

(apart from that I love the belt, I run long distances with my dogs and Manu has to stay on the lead. So keeping a leash in my hand would give stiff shoulder muscles after a short while. he is quite reliable now but I am always careful. usually he is really good after running 15 k or so. at least the following 15 or 20 k are quite relaxed :thanks: )

Edited by Anissa

The idea of a hands-free leash has always kind of worried me - what if your dog sees something really great (or something really scary) on the other side of the road and takes off? I get the impression that you could end up on your butt being dragged down the footpath. :D

Mind you, we've only ever had big dogs at our house (nothing smaller than a staffy bull). If your dogs are smaller then it might suit you fine.

My son's done that! (almost). I've got one of those Blackdog smart leashes you can clip to tie out easily, so I adjusted it to clip around my waist instead as I had my hands full (too uncomfortable to do for long). My 35kg son thought he'd try it and the 25kg poodle pup pulled him straight over- flat on his belly- when he jumped forward suddenly :thanks: . Lucky the kids are sturdy. He was on grass. I'll be about double the weight of the dog once he's fully grown and much lower centre of gravity than a skinny 9 year old boy :clap: .

Thanks for the pic, Anissa. I'd need to be careful my dog didn't knock me over, too, because he forgets he's got a brain sometimes (still a pup).

running.PNG

Hey, if a team of standard poodles can do the Iditarod (huge sledding race in Alaska) ?

In case anyone's interested, found these hands free walking belts- can use with ordinary leash- http://www.windchill.com.au/walking_belt.htm

Very lightweight with velcro- http://www.snooza.com.au/products/active-walker.shtml

Black Dog one: http://www.blackdog.net.au/accessories.php

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I have done "ski joering" with my dogs in the german winter, which is a bit similar to pulling the sled.

I used nordic ski and had my waist belt with two leashes attached and my doggies were pulling me.

like that:

stone_ski.jpg

The dogs wear special pulling harnesses (to distinguish between "non pulling street harness" and

"pulling ski harness"). :D

Edited by Anissa