Barking Help, Please ..

Charlie barked for a solid 30 minutes when left in the backyard on his own, until I got home. The chicken carcass I'd given him was untouched. He's used to having another dog for company, but I had to take the other dog to an appt that day.

He's a standard poodle, nearly 8 months old, desexed male. I work part-time and the dogs are used to having each other, plus humans, much of the time. They're not allowed to bark for more than a few minutes, if I'm home they're "shhhh"ed. They sleep outside, but have access inside-outside when I'm home.

The mini poodle (6 years, dominant temperament) is a protective barker and likes the sound of his own voice. We live adjacent to a golf course and he's started to bark at golfers on the fairway (screened with trees). Fair enough, but only when they come to the fence, looking for a ball. Both dogs are walked daily, older dog likes to do a trick or 2 and I do 5 minute training for the younger dog, chew toys/ bones etc if I'm out. The standard is more laid back and this barking is new. We go to local obedience classes.

How do I stop Charlie from becoming a barker?

Do I need to cure the older dog's barking first? (seems to be getting worse, or I'm more aware of it).

The volume from a standard poodle bark crosses 500m from our place, starting a neighbourhood barking chain-reaction :rofl: . Smaller dog bark is irritating, but not as loud or disruptive to neighbours (I think). Charlie has only just found his voice. Before, he only barked rarely.

I tried an ultrasonic collar on Oscar before-it worked OK to start- then lost its effect. It would go off when he was just running or jumping, not barking frown.gif .

Any ideas? I'm not against using an ecollar, but wouldn't want it to go off with so many false alarms as the ultrasonic collar did. I think it might make either dog fearful if they were zapped regularly during normal play.

I've started doing the TOT with Charlie. He barks on tie out and I have to wait for a break in barking to go back out with the food. He is looking at me.

Yesterday, I also put Charlie out in the yard with a bone and left him alone for about an hour (other dog inside). He started to bark, I waited for him to take a break then called out to him, sit, then back inside. I'm planning to try to lengthen the time he's left outside on his own.

Thanks for any advice :rofl: Sorry for the essay ...

Edited by Poodle wrangler