Recall Training

fee

I have a dog who is very well behaved except in one area - recall. He when he is off the lead sometimes something grabs his attention and he just runs. We are on a property so you can see how this is a problem. He is an only dog in our family at the moment and he does usually head toward our neighbours who have 2 border collies. I am thinking that loneliness from other dogs is most definately a factor.

It doesnt seem to matter what i do he wont listen to me to come back. I would love to learn strategies that have worked for you, things that i may be doing to contribute to this and what i can do better.

Thankyou in advance

You need to keep him on lead to teach "come". Take a few steps forward while heeling, then walk a few paces backwards with "(his name) Come" Make sure you have treats handy so there is a nice reward for him coming, and lots of praise and play when he comes to you.

It is not something that is learnt overnight, but once you think you have mastered this from a short distance on lead, try a longer lead, and then a longer lead again, and when you are even more confident, try it in an enclosed area off lead, and keep going from there.

Remember, you have to be more fun than everything else !!!!!

Im not an expert but we have done something very similar to what you describe, and he is always good when there is a lead attached and in enclosed areas and will come back every time. We just cant seem to master it off the lead. I do the whole reward and make a big fuss when he comes back, roll on the ground and play... i try and be exciting but at the moment i just cant seem to compete when his attention is somewhere else - but then there lies the problem - he should be attending to me right???

What food treats are you using? My lad's recall went to pot when he hit the "teenage" stage.....added some roast chicken and cubes of cheese to his normal reward schedule at the beach....boy, did that do the trick! Sometimes you have to really "up" the value of the reward, make sure they're hungry when you're practicing and, when you are training, only call "come" when you are sure he'll come back....otherwise the little rascals learn that it's their choice. Also, make sure you call him back, reward and then let him go again so it's a win-win for him. Perhaps you could use a very, very light long line while you are still reinforcing the recall. Hope that helps!

I am thinking that loneliness from other dogs is most definately a factor.

Possibly not - depends on what and how much interaction your dog receives from you/the family each day. What I suspect, though, is that the novelty of other dogs is far more inviting than what's on offer if he does recall to you. Work so that when your dog recalls (should be on a long line so that he can't help but come back to you) he receives high reward (eg. play with you etc. etc. etc.). Also, consider recalling and then sending him back out to sniff around etc.

Often, the only time people use a recall is when they want to pack up for the day. Dog comes back and fun is over. Not a good reason for the dog to want to come back. ETA: Notice "Spotted Devil" refers to this (ie send him back out) above.

ETA: Some dogs do recognise the difference between "on" and "off" lead and there are further steps in training that can be taken to work on that. But the foundation work should be done first to ensure that the behaviour is not simply a lack of or poor basic training.

Edited by Erny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but some dogs no matter how hard you try don't come back. I own a 4 yr old kelpie who is absolutely brillant in every other area but if she gets a certain distance away she will not recall, she will basically run until she hits a fence. I now realise this and limit the areas outside my horse property to where she can be off lead. Your dog may have the same problem.

It is an extremely frustrating problem.

Mel

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but some dogs no matter how hard you try don't come back.

Seeking the help of a trainer can reveal some techniques that you may not have already tried. I agree though .... the more prior 'learnt' behaviour has taught the dog it doesn't have to come back (or that there is nothing especially that would necessitate it making the decision to do so), the more difficult/longer re-training can be. But sometimes people can be pleasantly surprised when they see that the impossible might actually be possible.

I agree with you though .............. unless you have that reliable recall, the dog (and everyone else) is better off on lead.

Edited by Erny