Recall Training

say you have a dog of average obedience. How many hours of training will it take you to develop a dog with good recall? What if the first time you let the dog of lead it refused to come? would you have to just keep on training?

Can't answer the first part of your question. Depends on the dog. Depends on the handler. Depends on the method and suitability to the dog. Depends under what distractions you need the reliability and what proofing each stage has been undertaken.

I've never set my watch counter on it, but all of these things would influence.

To answer the latter part of your question - yes. If this has occurred the dog wasn't ready for off-lead work and/or hadn't been trained towards being off-lead. You wean off the lead. Not simply remove it in one step.

Example:

• On lead training.
  • Long-line training.
  • Long-line dragging - ie laying on ground in front.

Work for the exercise compliance first. Distance second.

If your pack status is in place, training has been all done correctly and with motivation but the dog has simply become "lead-wise", work with an RT can be invaluable. I'd recommend that you obtain tuition in relation to its correct and productive use first though.

Edited by Erny

I am doing obedience with him but we are not quite up to recall training. I want to start practising ive ordered a 9 metres long lead. I would like some advice on the do's and dont's of recall training. My dog is pretty good at coming on the lead in house and backyard so i want to start going to the park and using the longlead any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by ncarter

Depends under what distractions you need the reliability and what proofing each stage has been undertaken.

I dont understand this bit erny.

To use an extreme example for simplicity and clarity .....

Eg. Training to recall with no distractions might take less time than training to recall with (eg) another dog as a distraction. (Obviously, this will depend on what 'value' your dog places on the distraction.)

Training to recall with a one dog distraction will take less time than training to recall with (eg) ten other dogs as a distraction.

Training to recall with ten other dogs as a distraction will take less time than training to recall with (eg) ten other dogs running around and chasing each other as a distraction.

Note: Technically speaking, by "training" in the use of the above 'distraction' examples, I really mean "proofing".

and what is long lead dragging?

You might have an (eg) 7 metre length lead (ie Long Line) that you no longer hold in your hand but have progressed to leaving it on the ground. It is there should you need to quickly pick it up in the event your dog doesn't respond to your recall command.