Bulldog's Skin Sensitivity

pangcs

just wana ask around how to prevent skin problems on bulldogs.. specifically american bulldog.. i heard they're quite sensitive.. i own one and the problem just won't go away.. are their any tips on how to at least minimize these kind of problems? thanks!

There are lots of threads on allergy, skin problems etc. if you do a search. Some things that have been suggested include:

* Diet: Include more raw foods, less dry/ commercial foods. If severe, try an elimination diet to exclude food allergies/ food intolerances.

* Supplement fish oil capsules- according to weight of dog, or flaxseed oil (omega 3 and 6).

* Use of shampoos for sensitive skin e.g. T-Gel (human one with coal tar) or doggy ones for sensitive, itchy skin.

* Avoid allergy-causing plants and the dog being outside with high pollen counts (early morning, evening)- see http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=81686 (scroll down).

* Steroid creams can be used, but have side effects, so are best used to treat a "flare up" rather than regularly.

Best wishes with him :thumbsup:

There are lots of threads on allergy, skin problems etc. if you do a search. Some things that have been suggested include:

* Diet: Include more raw foods, less dry/ commercial foods. If severe, try an elimination diet to exclude food allergies/ food intolerances.

* Supplement fish oil capsules- according to weight of dog, or flaxseed oil (omega 3 and 6).

* Use of shampoos for sensitive skin e.g. T-Gel (human one with coal tar) or doggy ones for sensitive, itchy skin.

* Avoid allergy-causing plants and the dog being outside with high pollen counts (early morning, evening)- see http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=81686 (scroll down).

* Steroid creams can be used, but have side effects, so are best used to treat a "flare up" rather than regularly.

Best wishes with him :thumbsup:

i'll check on that.. many thanks!!! :rofl:

also the bully breeds often have zinc deficiency problems. My dear departed jake had a constant battle with skin problems. A quality raw home prepared diet worked... as long as there was no pet mince added ( often has preservatives added to it altho they deny that. ) Jake got a good vit supplement ( with zinc) each day.

Grains in kibble can create havoc with their sensitive little skins.

Good Luck

H