Reasonably Price Puppy Toys?

Wolfhound Lover

seems like tyres are all the rage. maybe i can pick up a cheapie at a garage sale =D

my wolfhound pulled down the fence between the veggie garden and the rest of teh backyard yesterday. he managed to pull out a huge log too, and i notice there are already marks left.. LOL.

i'm collecting the milk bottles now, but am having trouble figuring out what kind of rope i should use to tie it up together.

cricket balls are better huh? i'll have to go check it out. right now tennis balls don't last at all...

we just use the milk bottles by themselves, any rope or string can be a strangulation or choking hazard. Just remember to take the plastic ring off from the top.

throw some kibble into a 3ltr one and watch them kill it for the bits that come out the end !!

Mine never liked tyres for long, they taste rubbery !!

fifi

Wolfhound Lover you shouldn't have to pay for an old tyre.

Just go to a tyre dealer and they would give you an old tyre, it saves them having to pay a levy to dispose of tem.

I know this as my partner is a "tyre man".

If any body is in the N.W. of Tasmania and wants some old tyres PM me and I will see what I can do..

Saying this I havent even thought of giving my dogs a tyre to play with :) We have one hanging up in the back yard for a swing for the grandkids

and sometimes Flyn plays tug of war with it, usually when one of the kids is on it.

Cheers Netti

thanks for the tip netti. i'll see if i can get up the courage to go to the mechanic ppl and ask for a free tyre for my dog. maybe i can take him with me. biiiig wolfhound. how could they say no? LOL

we took him with us when we went to get a new car, and you should've seen all the male salesman fawn over him. grown men making kissy noises to a dog. *guffaws*

Pipe rings are really good, too, you know, those rubber rings? Very staffy-proof! And as someone said, plastic bottles, though I let Dolly shred the label off, she doesn't eat it, just scatters it all around the room. I then have to pick it up, but for an hour's peace, it's sooooo worth it.

She also gets all the toilet rolls when they are done; she loves them. We actually had to make a new toilet roll holder that's up quite high, cos it turns out shredding rolls of paper is the best game in the whole world!

Edited by Eileen

I give my 6 month lab pup 2L softdrink bottles with the label and lock ring removed. The 2L bottles are big enough that he can't quite get his mouth around the body of them. 1/3 filling them with water makes them even more of a challenge to pick up and lug around as the water sloshing around keeps shifting the bottles balance. He kills empty bottles in a couple of days but this makes them last weeks.

so i tried the bottles filled with dry kibble on the weekend. they LOVED them. when they first arrived, there'd be lots of rough and tumble, tearing at my bird netting and lots of chasies. in the last week or so, i've noticed they don't play as much and just mooch around, or lie out in the sun. these toys managed to fire them up for a little while =D

some pics attached for your amusement. note the ragged state of one of the bottles i found later. LOL.

Thanks for all your tips guys! the bottles worked like a charm! now i just have to go and get a tyre....

hrmm.. i just realised the pics come up really small. can anyone give me pointers abt how to post up bigger pics that don't take up much room on the forum? i remember i did this once a while ago, but i can't remember how i did it anymore.. =(

post-20019-1188197035.jpg

post-20019-1188197152.jpg

post-20019-1188197173.jpg

Edited by Wolfhound Lover