Help With Crying Puppy

malchi_girl

hi there i am new to the forum we picked up our gorgeous malchi charlie last sunday and he is eight weeks old. he has almost stopped crying at night now and has trined himself to go to the toilet on the puppy training pads (for which we are very proud). my question is how do i keep him entertained during the day when my partner and i go to work. he stays inside in a large playpen which has his kennel, food bowls, hundreds of toys and training pad? i know he cries when we leave and he gets so excited when we return is there anything that can keep him entertained during the day apart from his current fascination; toilet paper. any help is appreciated thanks as this is our first puppy.

I replied in the other thread (didn't see this one)

What breed is he?

I seen you are having trouble with putting weight on him.

I would add/alternate some toys (depends on his breed, you don't want anything too small he might choke) you could also try a Kong, they come in several sizes :offtopic:

I would also recommend that you do not make too much of a fuss before/while your leaving, I always tell my dogs shuuush as I close the door, when I get home, I let them out for a run then I go out to play ball etc with them.

Until he gets use to his new reutine and envornment he should settle. :eek:

Have you got a doggy daycare in your area?, I found a boarding kennell in my area who were happy to take them during the day, they get dropped off in the morning and picked up in the arvo's 3, days a week.

They love it,they are left to play with 1-2 other dogs during the day,its great for socialization, $8 a day.

Can I also just add that puppies tend to sleep a lot. They may cry when you leave, but probably not for very long. You'll find that a lot of the time, they'll have a whinge, then curl up and sleep most of the time away until you return.

If you're concerned, you can try hiding tid-bits of food around their play-pen so that they can engage in the forreging (sp?) game.... you could try a kong toy, or anything interactive. They now have toys that are held together with velcro for dogs that like to destroy things and hear that ripping sound. There's plenty that you can do, but seriously, unless your dog is actually being psychotic when you're not there, I'd say you shouldn't worry yourself overly on this one.

:offtopic:

hi thanks all for your help he is a chihuahua x maltese and most of the toys we bought him are too big except he has his 2 favourite bears that he likes to boss around and snuggle with :offtopic: any ideas on what to feed him? he is currently eating pedigree puppy dried food 3 times a day because the vet wants him to gain weight and he is having treat biscuits and liver treats which he loves whenever he does anything right. we tried him on the moist food but he turned his nose up at it and didnt like the hills food either even when we softened it like the vet said too. i think i might try the puppy milk and porridge are they ok to use? thanks again