Part Training Problem, Part Behavioral Problem

Hey guys,

New here, first post. I recently (about 2 weeks ago) rescued a dog. it is a GSD and he is approx 15 months old. The old lady that previously owned him couldnt looka fter him properly, train him or walk him. Surprisingly he has no problem walking on the lead and in the little time i have had him he is learning to sit, learning to not eat until he is actually told he is allowed and a few other things.

A few problem and qustions i have:

He seems to get bored during the day or night. He will rip washing off the line and just leave it on the ground. It's not windy so it isnt flapping about. I get to spend alot of time with him as I start work early and finish early in teh day. I walk him daily. He has a few toys but I am not compeltely sure that these are stimulating enough for him mentally. He also seems to be eating and breaking anything that he finds outside that is made of plastic, EG. my mothers solar garden lights, the canister to our abgless vaccum cleaner after it was washing and plastic bins and mop buckets. He also likes to take shoes for a walk, never chewing them mind you.

Any help you could give me, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am aware he is a puppy, and puppies do puppy things. But mum is slowly losing her patience and i dont have enough money to keep repalcing the things he is destroying.

Also, I live in Western Australia, and I am interested in finding a place where I can train Lucky (my adoreable little pup). I would be interested in basic, intermediate and eventually advanced training. If you could possibly suggest anywhere that may be able to assist that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Can he stay inside in a crate during the night, even if in the laundry?

Also try marrowbones for day when he doesn't have company.

There should be some good posts in the puppy section as well that cover how to keep a puppy entertained. He isn't a puppy but is still a young adult and GSD's are young until about 3 years

Regular walks and also tug toys suspended by rope from a tree etc that he can pull on, and kong toys, chew toys as well as bones, a digging pit, and time inside. Training will also help, they are bright dogs and need mental as well as physical stimulation

It may take a few weeks to really settle in. ARe you in Perth?

Yes, i am in perth. I will try the tree idea and get a kong. I dont know how well he would go if he was actually put in a cage. He doesnt seem to like being restricted in his movements.

Mum works with butchers so brings bones abck for him alot, but he doesnt seem to be the type of dogs thats to fussed about food and stuff.

Yes, i am in perth. I will try the tree idea and get a kong. I dont know how well he would go if he was actually put in a cage. He doesnt seem to like being restricted in his movements.

He's desexed, being a rescue?

Crates look like a cage, but it's meant to be his "den". He will need to be trained to use it- plenty of info. here, but essentially you start out feeding him his favourite food in there, door open, then close door, then increase time spent in there afterwards etc. All done gradually. You're aiming to make the crate a "happy" place for him to be, never a punishment. If you go to a dog show, you'll see nearly all dogs are crate trained and very happy to be there. They'll chose to hop into their crates to rest.

Another option is a dog run in the backyard.

Can you walk him before and after work? Even a short walk has lots of sight, smells and sounds for your dog. My dogs are very settled, even after a short walk.

With the washing, you just can't leave him with access to it. Move the dog or move the washing on to a large indoor airer. Much cheaper to buy one than have stuff ruined. It's too interesting and rewarding to pull it off. Some have suggested booby trapping an old sheet with a water bomb, that sort of thing.

Also, look into a local club for training. Helps exercise their minds.

Thanks.

I cant actually muster up the drive to wake up early enough to walk him before work (most times i am awake and getting ready at 2 am in the morning). He is desexed. I understand what a crate is, as one of my ex girlfriends has 3 gun dogs that are very well crate trained. I just wanted to know if there was another way to go about it without having to stick him in a cage.

There used to be a dog training class around the corner from me, but i am looking for something a little more long term where i might be able to "enroll" him (for wnat of a better word) and gradually teach him new things as he gets more used to the simple things.

I wouldnt have the first idea on where to start.

:thumbsup:

I live all the way up in the hills but i dont mind driving to train him. He will have a training partner, as my ex has my other pup, who is a kelpie cross, and i had the chance to raise her from an 11 week old pup, so she knows the basics and listensd very well. Lucky jsut seems out of control and doesnt seem very food oriented.

Your help has been awesome and greatly appreciated. I will e-mail some of the folks on that list and let you know how i go.

thanks.