Good Bye My Soldier....

ShellyBeggs

I remember the day I got him nearly 12 years ago, a little round 7wo black pup, so round he nearly got named Turtle as when he rolled on his back he couldn't turn back over.

But Sargent Major - Sarg, was my greatest joy in life and sadly he was put to sleep on Tuesday 14th August when his arthritis and fluid on the lungs just got too much for me to let him go through.

I have never owned a dog that has been more special, and so much my best friend. He was there when I moved out of home and lived on my own, I moved so far that he was my only friend and family within easy reach. He was there on my first day of my first jon. He was there on my 21st birthday and everyday until he went we would always be so excited to see each other when I got home from work. He was there through tears and through happy times......and he always had a big sloppy kiss for me and I always had a belly rub for him....sometimes even at 3am when everyone else was asleep.

His whole life was about pleasing me so much so that at 8mo they banned me from obedience training for a month because he was too serious! He would sit so straight and proud..a good soldier matching up to his name.....like he it was his honour to be with me.......we went everywhere together, holidays and so many walks and swims in the river and its not the same without him.

He has driven my car into the letterbox, eaten an entire 8kg bag of dog dry in a day, stripped a lemon tree down to just a stick, destroyed a tent out camping trying to flee a thunderstorm and was washed away in a fast running river. He had lots of adventures and a pretty spoilt and happy life.

I miss him so much, its been over a week and it still breaks my heart to open the back door when I get home and not see him the first one rushing in to greet me. I have owned many dogs in my life and will prolly own much much more in the future, but none will ever make me forget my boy....my little soldier!

I love you Sarg and it will all seem far too long until I see you over the bridge....at least over the bridge you can eat all the chocolate you want and there are so many tennis balls that you won't know which one to chew up into little pieces first.

R.I.P Sarg

I am so sorry for your loss Shelly. Sarg sounded like a wonderful and faithful companion and you will miss him so much. I wish we could keep our pets forever. He had a great life with you and sounds as tho some very adventurous times. At least you have all those memories. Thinking of you at this time and sending hugs. :thumbsup::laugh:

Run free Sarg.

run free sarge go chase tennis balls and have fun. look after my boy dodge whos name was sarge when i got him, 2 noble boys take care of the others at rainbow bridge.

so sorry for your loss shelly. thinking of you at this hard time.

Thanks so much guys!!!

I miss him heaps......and wish he could have been with me forever....!! If there was any way you could love them more when they are here....ya would!

And I am sure he is having a great time running around chasing tennis balls without any pain....and him and Dodge can wander around taking care of all the youngsters......and looking right smart when doing it.

Thanks so much, it helps!

• 2 weeks later...
One more black labrador at the Rainbow Bridge. RIP Sarge.

AT least he will have friends!!!

I still feel the need to share, each day I seem to cry more....

But here we are.....in our younger days!

Sargandme.jpg

and as an old man......with his mate Diesel (b/w bc)

AV.jpg

I miss you heaps Sarg!

and the lemon tree looks lovely on your grave with all the dew and the sun on it in the morning......tennis balls you can eat mate, your fave!

P.S sorry i dont know how to resize the piccies, I only just worked out how to get them on there!

• 8 months later...

I am having a hard day today with missing you my darling Sarg.....I don't know why today or why the tears don't want to stop....

there are so many times that I think I hear you sigh.......or your tail thumping against something!!!

It seems so unfair that I can't just reach out to scratch your ears or rub your belly.....

Its been the longest 8 months without you.....and I don't miss you any less today than I did the day you got your wings. I miss you so very much!

Just hope that you know that no matter how much fun I am having with the boys at home, I would trade it all for more time with you!

Love to you my soul companion......you are never far from my thoughts and always in my heart!!!

I know exactly how you feel ShellyBeggs. I have many dogs waiting at the bridge for me and even though the years pass there are still times when things are quiet and I remember one or another of them. The feel of them and the love of them will always be with me.