Healthy Treats

Arley

would be interested to hear if anyone has healthy & IRRESISTABLE treat ideas - I use bbq chicken & sometimes sausage (although sausage in moderation because of the salt) - found these great jer-hi treats that were made out of chicken meat but came in easy to use sticks - Lana loves them - but I think being a jerki type meat they must be full of salt.. does not have salt content on pack which is annoying...

as far as recipes... would have to say the most successful for me has been Norskgra's liver bread... is on a thread somewhere but not having any luck finding it atm

Bridget

cheese and bacon cookies

3/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp salt 2/3 cup butter 2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp baking soda 1 egg 1 tspn vanilla essence 1 1/2 cups oats

1 cup cheddar cheese 1/2 cup wheatgerm 250g bacon, chopped, trimmed of fat

Pre heat oven to 180 deg C.

Grease or line a baking tray. Combine flour, soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, then slowly beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, mixing thoroughly. Stir in oats, cheese, wheatgerm and bacon.

Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto a baking tray, and bake for 15 - 20 mins or until brown.

Cool on a wire rack.

Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to two weeks.

Makes about 15.

This is from the book Grrrrowlicious food for hungry dogs - by Jamie Young.

It also has doggie biscuits, mock choc doughnuts (using peanut butter and carob - but also chicken/beef stock).

And it has heaps of main meal ideas for our dogs like rabbit stew, chicken meatballs or raw alternatives.

It also has a whole list of fruits and vegies that are good for them and the vitamins they contain, and then tells you what benefit the vitamins have for our pets.

Its quite a good book (I think) and it uses information from Dr Ian Billinghurst, so it can't be too bad.

The only thing i'm not sure about, is the sugar. I always thought sugar was bad - but maybe it is only processed sugar.

there are also some treat recipes on this site:

http://www.twodogpress.com/dogfood.html

FOUND IT!

Norskgra had a fantastic liver bread recipe in a recipe thread in the health section... I will see if I can find it...

got it!

Liver Bread (Norskgra’s recipe)

Tray of liver from supermarket (approx 500 gm)

3 eggs

1 tin sardines in oil (drained)

1 - 2 teaspoons Italian herbs

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon crushed garlic

2 Cups Wholemeal Self Raising Flour

¾ cup grated cheese (I normally use Parmesan)

Blend liver and sardines in food processor. Transfer the liver and sardine mix to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Spray lamington tin with cooking spray add contents of vomit mix and bake in oven 200 degrees for about 20 mins. Remove from oven and lamington tin and cut it up into little squares and then bake it again for about ten minutes - it dries it out a bit more and makes each piece less likely to fall apart in treat bags or pockets etc. Freeze in bags big enough for one show or training activity.

This is a FANTASTIC recipe! I had all the labradors in my advanced obedience breaking their stays and coming to beg food from me - and this was just from the smell

I'm pretty sure sultanas and grapes are toxic to dogs.

I use cheese as treats because it is easy to cube and the dogs love it. Would love to use BBQ chicken but can't seem to get it into nice pieces as it tends to fall apart.