Shampoos

SoL

Hi guys

Did a quick search but couldn't be bothered trawling through the millions of pages to find what I wanted so:

One of our girls is recovering from serious wounds - her foreleg wounds are open (on purpose) and I am treating them daily with topical treatment. However, the rest of her has pretty much healed up, save for flaking scabs.

Even though I'm brushing her down, her coat is starting to feel really manky.

The problem is I can't give her a shampoo as I don't want anything to get into the wounds.

I can either:

1. secure a plastic bag over her leg with an elastic band; or
  2. use a dry shampoo on the rest of her

What do you reckon would be better? Can anybody recommend a dry shampoo if that would be the way to go?

Has anybody got any better ideas?

Cheers

Em

Oh yeah, am treating internally as well with Livamol and fish with oil to help the dry skin.

Guest Steph & Bam

I think the plastic bag over the legs should be fine, providing your girl can handle it. I have an attachment for the bathroom tap similar to a hydrobath one, that means you can direct the water away from the wounds. Maybe try using Malaseb, as it's a medicated shampoo so if it does get into the wounds it shouldn't cause any irritation to them unless you don't wash it off properly.

If you have some Pyohex / Malaseb you could use that, it won't cause a problem with the wounds (we use chlorhexidine as a surgical scrub / wound flush) and shouldn't sting either. Just make sure you rinse well and dry the wounds as best as you can.

Cool, thanks guys. I've got some Malaseb here but I actually thought it would sting like buggery for her but seeing that I'm putting Lotagen on open wounds there probably isn't much difference in the stinging!