Has Anyone Tried A Puppy Toilet Tray?

kymbo

I am thinking of trying those holders/ tray that you put the wee pads in, to toilet train a puppy( pap). I have never tried them before; last time I just used news paper, and took the pup outside a lot. But we had lots of accidents :laugh: on the carpet and I am trying to avoid this this time, and news paprer is messy.

We have steps and screen doors, and this was the problem last time I think, so I was thinking that while quite young, if I could get him to use a tray in the laundry, it might save a few mishaps...

Anyone tried them? And is there a brand to avoid? I have looked at a few places on line, but can't find a tray, only a holder, which I presume is just a frame to clamp a pad flat?

Any ideas? Do people just use cat litter trays?

TIA

Kym

I tried a cat litter tray with Benwhen he was a pup but it wouldn't work cause he wouldn't step up into it. I remember trying to look for other contraptions at the time but couldn't find a whole lot so we persisted with the puppy pads indoors and had a square metre of fake grass (which we bought from a hardware store) for his outside toilet, as we have a courtyard. When he got used to going on the fake grass outside, we bought a Pet Loo and my partner put some bricks in front to create steps for him.

The only problem with fake grass or the pet loo is you have to be vigilant with cleaning because they will smell if not cleaned regularly.

As for getting him to go to the toilet outside, we just kept moving his indoor puppy pad closer to the back door and eventually he learnt that his toilet was outside.

I use them for my two overnight when they are locked inside. They don't always use them, sometimes they make it through the night but it's good to know they're there if they need to go, like if I sleep in. :laugh: They're good for when it rains too, mustn't get our precious little feet wet by going outside in the rain, no siree.

I got them from Kmart and they are a tray with a frame sort of thing that goes on top over the pad and clips into place with clips on the bottom tray bit. They cost about $15 or $16 I think, can't remember exactly, but somewhere around that. I don't use the pads, just newspaper. I tried newspaper on its own but the little buggers ripped it up and it was strewn all over the laundry. It didn't take them long to get the idea. Tallulah had already been used to using newspaper so moving to the tray was no trouble and Monty will pee anywhere Tallulah does so that made it easy.

Do the puppy pads have a waterproof backing so they don't leak? I can't see it just sitting on the laundry floor and not blowing around, iykwim.

I was wondering about the lip of the cat litter tray being a problem as well.

I found one on ebay, but it is pick up only :laugh:. It is more of a flattish tray with a really slight lip, but I can't seem to find these new anywhere.

Oh well thanks for the hints and I will keep looking :rofl:

I got them from Kmart and they are a tray with a frame sort of thing that goes on top over the pad and clips into place with clips on the bottom tray bit. They cost about $15 or $16 I think, can't remember exactly, but somewhere around that

BEWDY!!! I will try there. How big are they roughly?

They are 48cm x 40cm and about 4.5cm high, just measured them. The frame that fits over the top creating the lip is rounded that's why the measurement is 'about'. The pads do have a plastic back from memory (don't use them anymore) but it doesn't matter because the base is solid anyway.

I've trained my little one to use a wee pad from the first day she came home. It took about two months to train her completely successfully to use the pad, but now she uses it without fail. Although she may miss the pad sometimes when it's really full and she doesn't like to step on the wet pad!!! :rofl:

The brand of wee pad I get is Dogzone and it's pretty good, pretty cheap too, about $36 for 40 pads. Measures something like 60cm x 50cm and absorbs heaps. It has a plastic backing and has never leaked. I got a Ruddocks pad holder for about $20 and although it's smaller than the pad, I just fold up the edges of the pad and it's fine.

I find it more hygenic than letting the dog toilet in the backyard. I have a smallish backyard and not really keen on using it if I know it's also her toilet!!! :mad

Just one negative, when Pepper is bored, she'll rip up the pad, but thankfully that doesn't happen too often. :laugh:

ETA: I get the pads (and the pad holder) from PetBarn, but not sure if there is a store near you in QLD.

Edited by WinGus