Flea Treatment For Chihuahua

moggy

We bring our Chihuahua pup home in 3 weeks and have purchased some Fido Everyday Soap Free Shampoo.

Next step is a suitable flea treatment. As she will be bathed weekly which would be the best treatment?

Would appreciate some opinions please.

Moggy

Hi ,

There is a huge thread at the top of this forum about fleas.

Personally I find fidos shampoo worse than useless for preventing fleas.

I use advantix spot on the neck once a month. You will have to find out if it is suitable for pups though. I can`t even remember the last time I saw a flea on any of my dogs, it is definitely the best thing I have used.

Are you sure a pup needs a weekly bath? On whose advice is this based?

Bathing a dog or pup usually only removes fleas on the animal at the time but doesn't control the pests otherwise, and I certainly wouldn't be relying on bathing to keep a dog flea free.

I'd suggest asking about suitable flea preventives when you see your new vet at the pup's first visit. This would be routine for a new addition to the family and I usually do this in the first day or two.

For my dogs, I use frontline plus but they're all adults. I'm not sure of the suitability for a toy breed pup...that's why your vet is the ideal person to see regarding this. :o

Congratulations BTW - chis are awesome little dogs! :)

As she will be bathed weekly

I'm with lillysmum on this one, has someone informed you to bath her weekly. My two longcoat Chihuahua's get bathed every three to four weeks and even then i use a very mild shampoo and conditioner as anymore bathing than that dries there skin horribly.

As for flea treatments advantix is what i use and i always have a flea spray on hand. But i barely have to use it!!!

I would only be bathing monthly with a mild shampoo, unless they roll in something :)

Also, they do sell the spot on flea treatments such as Advantage etc for puppies and dogs less than 5kg's. You cant go past these for flea prevention.

Thank you all for your advice. We will probably bath her every 4 weeks then. It is just that I know she will be sleeping with us, we had a Chi years ago and this is what happens as other Chi owners would know, and naturally would like to keep her clean. Thinking of getting Fidos Everyday Soap Free shampoo.

Our gorgeous little Chi we had 25 years ago used to love his weekly bath and blow dry and never had any skin problems. We will take her to the vet when we get her and ask him about flea control.

Thanks again. Can't wait to bring her home.

Moggy

I would use a shampoo and conditioner on your puppy fortnightly at the most.Mine are done maybe every 2 months but they are not allowed on beds or furniture.

ALOVEEN shampoo(by dermcare) is great ,as is the leave in conditioner which helps with the oils lost due to bathing.ALOVEEN is ph balanced and will not interfere with frontline.Natural shampoo also by Dermcare is good too

I use frontline plus top spot on my dogs,but for a chi frontline spray would be econmonical,however if you use frontline it is reccomended you wait at least 24hrs after a bath before applying.

PRICELESS PETS is a good cheap site for flea products.

eta- Frontline plus top spot is monthly for fleas,FORTNIGHTLY for ticks if you are in a tick area.

Fronline spray will kill fleas for 6 weeks, APPLY every 3 weeks for ticks.

The more you bath the dog the less effective the produts will be.If you use a soap free shampoo and con like ALOVEEN it

won't remove as much of the product.

Edited by sheree_e4

Thank you all for your advice. We will probably bath her every 4 weeks then. It is just that I know she will be sleeping with us, we had a Chi years ago and this is what happens as other Chi owners would know, and naturally would like to keep her clean. Thinking of getting Fidos Everyday Soap Free shampoo.

Our gorgeous little Chi we had 25 years ago used to love his weekly bath and blow dry and never had any skin problems. We will take her to the vet when we get her and ask him about flea control.

Thanks again. Can't wait to bring her home.

Moggy

My chi cross sleeps with us, our other two are a bit big for our bed but they do come in for cuddles sometimes. They don't smell and they rarely get a bath (maybe every three months or so unless Ruby has rolled in something disgusting). They're fed raw whole foods though so we don't have to put up with the smell some processed foods create. ;)

I second the recommendation for Aloveen products - the shampoo and conditioner are mild and smell divine. :)

breeder/exhibitor of 22 years, i usually advise our puppy owners to be very careful they are tiny and chihuahuas are sensitive. it says that on most products too strong for chihuahua pups. we have never had a real problem with fleas with our chis.

we recommend to use the Raid flea killer plus, not to spray straight on BTW but you spray it on a brush then rub on. this usually does the trick, we have never used frontline or anything that goes into the blood, we did once and i didn't realise the bitch was pregnant at the time and the pups were born deformed. i'd never gotten that before with pups so i put it down to those products. could have been coincidence but i think not. Im sure lots of breeders and pet owners do use that product with much success, we use frontline for our Kelpie X Pointer boy but he is a bigger dog ofcourse.

and for years i have used talcum powder as fleas don't like powder of any sort. that works as well. and its safer for them. a puppy to use frontline on them, i myself wouldn't be doing that. but thats just my opinion. especially on a young puppy like that. and especially on a small chihuahua.

JMHO

good luck with your new puppy BTW.

cheers

Edited by san rita

I am not talking about the SPRAY i am talking about the spot on products.........????????????

a cheaper alternative to the frontline spray is what i recommended which is just as good. but hard to buy its available in coles or safeway most of the time. in a purple can. everyone uses frontline spray and and yes it does adhere to the fur yes it does?????? :rofl: and its safe. but even then for small toy dogs they are extra senstive being tiny and just to be CAREFUL thats why i recommend to put the product on a brush?????? the theme of my post was

TO BE CAREFUL when dealing with tiny toy dogs.