Bad Reaction To Hydrobath

My boy absolutely hated the Hydrobath to start off with he would try to jump out and cry and whinge and was a huge sook for hours afterwards. After the first wash I was never going to do it to him again but in the end I persisted and now after 7 months of monthly or fortnightly baths he loves it. He also hated the dryer to start off with actually hyperventilated the first time but now the whole neighborhood can hear him howling his head off with a HUGE grin on his face in ecstasy as he gets his dry/massage.

I would say to persist for a couple of times and if it doesn't get any better than find an alternative. if after 4-5 baths shes not getting any calmer then find something else that might work.

Also one thing that has helped my boy was just before Sharon turns the water on she says 'water' then turns it on to bath him after a couple of times of doing that he then knew what was happening and it didn't freak him out as much because he was expecting it (i think it was more the noise than the actually water that freaked him out but once he knew it was about it happen because the 'water' was said he stopped freaking out). So if they don't do it already maybe ask them if they can use a word to prepare her so she knows whats coming.

hope this helps

Dimity

Thanks for all the replies.

We are doing drive training with Buffy, so I'll take her tug along with us next time. Her focus is getting really good, even in distraction areas, but I'm not sure if it's good enough for this situation. I'll keep working on it and then try it next time she goes for a bath.

I really don't think I'll go back to the same place, I think Buffy was so worked up because she was allowed to. Not by me, but the hydrobather. She wasn't trying to attack the hose or anyone, she just wanted to jump out, and the lead was definately too long. She could have really injured herself.

So can anyone recommend a groomer for a crazy doberman in Brisbane? :thumbsup:

I okay i will done the Flame suit but i think your making more out of it than it really is & the dog will feel your reaction.

Dogs having a tainty in hydrobath is very normal especially the first time.

It doesnt sound like the girl did anything wrong ,she may have fluffed it over in your view but when dealing with the public one has to be very public savvy dealing with dogs.

If you get too firm many owners think your being rough,your dammed if you do dammed if you dont but for me i just say try again sooner rather than latter & dont worry with given rememdies or potions.

Speak to the girl before hand & simply explain what you want to happen with commands etc & bath away.

We boarded the police dogs & they where the most ill behaved,manic dogs to hydrobath but they still worked

Thanks showdog, I much would have preferred not to have been there at all!! Next time I definately won't, the girl asked me to stay. I didn't feel happy with her and I don't think she is doing it because she loves animals, I think it's just a job to her, and honestly I don't think she knew the first thing about handling a large dog who was obviously scared about it's first hydrobath.

I am going to go to a groomer that has been recommended in about a week's time and see how it goes. I will be speaking with the groomers prior to taking Buffy there, to make sure they know what happened last time, and to see if we can have a favourable outcome.

Thats right Jeffncel there are alot out there that have no idea about large dogs especially one that lets say have "issues" :laugh: but thats ok you will find someone whom you like and that can handle your dog. I'd definatly leave when she is being done. They can be worse than children at times :cool: