Considering A New Career

Does anyone on DOL do this already? or know anyone who does?

I'm feeling really bored and stagnant in my office job and my contract ends soon.. i'm sick of doing the same old things day in day out and not making a positive impact on anyones lives etc :)

I love dogs, own two and love washing and grooming them myself.. was thinking about buying a franchise.

What does everybody think?

Oh and is it worth it money wise with different taxing etc??

I did it for 5 years.

You can make good money if you are happy to work hard, long hours in the blistering heat and freezing cold ;)

Mine was not a franchise, I think you would want to be careful and know ALL the ins and outs before you buy into a franchise situation.

Good luck!

I wouldnt ever go Franchise, you are never your own boss, I know a few who have bought in, and initially it seems good, for the large outlay, you have to do things as they say, use their products, get paperwork in when they want it, for their commissions etc.......Some even take the bookings for you etc.......Usually the prices are high per job, but you dont earn it all as they take their cut.

Alternatively if you bought a ready going concern, you are your own boss, and already have a client base.

If you start from scratch it is cheaper, but takes longer to get the clients and start earning a profit.

If you do it at all, have you got a car suitable for towing?

It is hard work, in scorching heat,battling traffic, silly dogs, nasty dogs, silly people, people that let you down & forget their appt or dont pay, people that want to keep you talking all day that dont understand that time is money etc etc...........It isnt all happy days...............

Many people start out with enthusiasm, but not too many last............Usually the ones that last are good at what they do, & are Naturals with dogs..........

Mine is a franchise and all I pay is a standard set fee per fortnight so you are not penalised for working harder.

I take all of my bookings and work my own hours (only 4.5 days now), and pretty much do as I please.

The only thing they ask is you use their products, which are top of the range, and email them a monthly statement, with whatever amount you wish to write up on it. (sorry tax people)

You are salon trained, no tafe courses etc, and you if you ever have any problems I call the owner straight away, no on else, and all is sorted. I have never had any problems but just incase there is never ending support.

When I first started the owner called me twice a week to make sure I had enough business and to make sure I was OK.

We do all breeds professional grooming, not just staight clip offs and half arsed jobs etc, and all marketing etc is done for you.

The trailer is in the shape of a dog (a bright blue one at that) so is a brilliant marketing tool in itself. The amount of bookings I picked up just from being parked at someones house or the shops etc is amazing.

My client base is approx 90% regular, either 2 weekly or monthly, and myself, and the others near me are fully booked for approx 2-4 weeks at a time mostly due to the regular clients.

All franchises are different and you will need to do your research. Some a dodgy and I would not touch them with a ten foot pole, but I made my decision after around 2-3 months of research and heading out with franchisees for the day just to see how it all operates and to make sure it is what I wanted to do. Dog grooming is hard work and not for everyone.

I did it this way first of all, as starting up yourself, with no experience and trying to compete with a frachise such as the one I own, I would really struggle.

It is a higher outlay, but I have found it much easier and there are many more benefits.

Its completely up to you but either way make sure you do your research.

If you want to know who I am with please PM me. Also, where are you situated ?

Edited by BC