Gsd's & Herding

Just wondering if anyone on DOL has a GSD that they do herding with. My dream is to one day have, again, a GSD that I can compete in everything!! Obedience, agility, herding, tracking...oh how wonderful that would be. Would love to hear of people's experiences with them and herding.

Thanks

I had my boy started on sheep, we had a few sessions, and the instructor was very impressed with him. I would loved to have continued herding with him but didn't have the time or money to continue :) but I was told he could have done well. However I was also told that its pretty rare for a GSD to take to sheep like he did... apparently they usually either are not interested, or more often just want to kill the sheep.

I don't know my boys history, he was a poundie I adopted, and I have been told by working GSD people that they think he is working lines.

Just my experience, am sure there are others who have better answers for you

Dagboy has been training our GSD Ebony, she has her HIC & is going for her HT in a couple of weeks. However she's not the sharpest tool in the shed :eek: & probably won't get much past HT.

There is a lady up here in Qld who now has her Started A Course title on sheep with her GSD.

Hi,

We do herding with our Sheppies.

One girl has her HT, and is very good. Will try her in the next paddock soon.

The boy has his HIC, but is not really interested - much prefers obedience.

Our young pup (12 months) is a natural and shows excellent promise. She is going for her HIC very soon at the Clarence trial. Will have no trouble with this (just the sit and recall at the beginning) :)

She is going for her HIC very soon at the Clarence trial.

Quobba, do you mean the one at Uralla next weekend? We'll be there with my doggies in my signature & hubby's GSD, come & say hi if you see us :laugh: .

"However I was also told that its pretty rare for a GSD to take to sheep like he did... apparently they usually either are not interested, or more often just want to kill the sheep."

Casima, who ever told you that is an ignorant idiot who obviously still believes OLD utter rubbish of years gone by that German Shepherds are useless as sheep herders or are sheep killers.

There are still hundreds of GSD's who WORK sheep in Germany and throughout Europe today and there are MANY GSD's who do competative herding around the world INCLUDING Australia and are VERY successful at it !

I have had three who have gained their instinct tests and could have gone further if I had have had the time and finances to do so at the time.

In the past I have been to quite a few herding days and tests and the two breeds I saw who ,on more than one occasion, did have a go at the sheep or showed no interest at all,were either Cattle dogs or Kelpies.

(No offence to Cattle Dog or Kelpie owners)lol