Hd / Ed - What Age For Testing?

~JoLu~

On a previous vet visit a few months ago, the vet mentioned that she had concerns about Jonty's hips and discussed hip dysplasia.

When I took Lulu to the vet yesterday (different vet, same practice) I asked her at what age I should have Jonty screened for HD. She suggested now (he's just over 12 months) and that they would do it again at around 2 yrs, for comparison. Does this sound about right?????

I'm assuming that HD is something that, like most things, is better caught early on than later, so that strategies can be put in to place to manage it...

Also, it is my understanding that the x-rays are sent elsewhere to be "scored"... if so, are some places "better" at it than others, and can I request where/who they are sent to???

Thanks

Our breeder suggested we get Bakari scored at 12 months, but I haven't heard of doing another to compare... I thought once it was done and scored then you knew whether it could become a further issue/whether they would be good enough to breed from?

I think there is 2 different ways of scoring Wyburn & I can't think of the other one....

Total novice here so no idea of the difference/who's better etc! :)

No Maya - not Jonty....... Mallee had her hip dysplasia diagnoised at 6.5months and her ED was diagonised at 4months...

Mallee's x-rays were nevered scored as such, as we were not breeding etc from her but the HD was definate. She displayed several signs early on which lead to the xrays being done. They do all different type of pressure tests on their hind legs while x-raying.

I have my fingers crossed for beautiful Jonty that there is nothing there. PM if you need to talk about anything.

Thanks for the replies everyone :laugh: Guess the vet was trying to squeeze an extra few bucks out of me with the second set of xrays :D :thumbsup:

malleerr, thank you for your concern. I don't think there is a problem there, but would like it ruled out in any case. The vet was concerned because of stiffness he was showing in his hind legs when she tried to manipulate them, but she also conceded that it could be because he was a little tense.

However given Jonty is a large breed, I would rather be in the know now than caught out in a few years time.

I spoke to his breeder about it also, and obviously his parents were scored before they were used to breed from so there (hopefully) shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be taking him to see his breeder in a couple of weeks, so she can give me her opinion of him then ....

I'm sure all will be fine :D