Martingale Collars

Hi guys,

I currently use a material/chain martingale on Caber (Border Terrier) and I think it is the 'right' collar for us, I'm very happy with it. Except for the fact that the adjustment/slider sometimes moves if he pulls or lunges suddenly, or if it doesn't do that, it is just a royal pain in the behind to take off and put on, having to adjust the size all the time.

So I was looking around and came across this website 'Vasquez' collars, http://www.pawzazzpetz.com.au/gpage13.html

Now they have the 2 styles, one which is a traditional type martingale and the other is like a limited slip choker.

Both have the buckles so I just have to undo it to remove the collar.

Anyone have any advice on which i should purchase? They aren't particularly cheap so want to know more before buying one lol.

Hey SP,

I've got a Vasquez limited slip and I don't like it that much. The problem is with the chain...with some cheap chains the links are shaped differently in comparison to the better quality chain and this difference in shape can mean that it takes more work from your part to actually initiate a check and also that the check doesn't always release all the way, straight away if at all. This can affect the timing of a correction and then if it doesn't release properly, its difficult to get the right message across to the dog.

If the chain is OK in your current martingale from this perspective then I'd consider Myszka's suggestion. BTW, is your current martingale a Prestige Pets? Cuz I have noticed that the slide buckle in those moves under pressure.

Myszka- that is awesome! Can I get it done in that colour too (green is Caber's best look :laugh: )??

Rom- thanks for that, I thoughtfrom the pics the chain looked a little odd. The martingale I have at the moment is a ROGZ brand, and as I said above, in general I am very happy with it, just not when the buckle moves or when I have to take it on/off (yes, I will acknowledge that I am lazy :laugh: ). I am very happy with the chain, all the links are smooth and I have never had a problem with it not releasing.

Ill pm you her emial addy, than you can sort it out between yourselves LOL

Just a note - I had a martingale that I was happy with , might have been rogz as well actually, and yes I was lazy as well and it used to anoy me to adjust the buckle each time so I have designed this collar myself and asked the friend to make it. She made a couple for me to test and we tested diferent buckles (convex v's concave) and the positioning of the buckle in relation to the chain etc.

the one in the pic isnt actually mine it belongs to another DOLer that has spoted one on my Divani and said - OMG what a great idea, Im sick of the buckle adjusting :laugh: And so she got some done for all her dogs :laugh:

All made to order and to your measurements Cazz.

The only thing she cant get is those chains for maringales, but buckles, studs, clips etc she has a wide variety of.

She made me a leash for Rex when we first met that is 4 years ago, I absolutly LOVE it, use it every day, its been in the sand, salty water etc and its just perfect. She has made me plaited show collars and leads, normal leather collars etc.

Not to mention belts :laugh: and other leather stuff. Some of the belts/collars she makes have the leather "engraved" you know what I mean - with patterns on it pressed into the leather.

I get excited talking about the stuff she makes, Im a big advocate of her products, and several people here have contacted her and own her products, never heard anyone complain. Her stuff is really good, made of high quality bridal leather. Clips/backles she will put stainless steel, she used to put chrome ones , but now found a supplier of a better quality stuff. Or you can have brass if you preffer.

Show leads (I wont miss out on the opportunity to put a pic of one of my dobies :rolleyes: _)

here is Baby Divani with her plaited lead and collar set

post-3337-1192761738_thumb.jpg

I think she is self tought. She sells her stuff at Gleba markets in Sydney, mostly belts and journals.

Dog collars to order and all other leather gear to order, she made a leather agitation harness for a IPO for my friends dobie couple of years ago.

I have got a doggie belly belt for tracking on order, might pick it up tonight actually..

Hey SP,

I've got a Vasquez limited slip and I don't like it that much. The problem is with the chain...with some cheap chains the links are shaped differently in comparison to the better quality chain and this difference in shape can mean that it takes more work from your part to actually initiate a check and also that the check doesn't always release all the way, straight away if at all. This can affect the timing of a correction and then if it doesn't release properly, its difficult to get the right message across to the dog.

If the chain is OK in your current martingale from this perspective then I'd consider Myszka's suggestion. BTW, is your current martingale a Prestige Pets? Cuz I have noticed that the slide buckle in those moves under pressure.

Hi, in regards the VASQUEZ style restricted restraint collar, you have to give the dog a little time to adjust to it, it is meant to restrain but also for the dog to adjust to the noise, after a short period of time you will see that the you will NOT have to CHECK , by actually lugging back on the lead, as the noise plus, sensation of the WEBBING or Leather closing around the neck area ( opening of collar MUST be EXACT measurement of dogs neck NOT LESS , NOT MORE) induces the desired result, they are a very very effective restraint, but like anything else, change takes a little time to adjust to it,

now just some trivia on why I moved over to VASQUEZ, is the SALIVA gland damage resulting from OVER ZEALOUS CHECKING with a Check chain type restraint

if the Choker/Check chain moves up to high on the neck towards the ears, and you apply enough pressure, that Saliva gland can be damaged, which results in HUGE amounts of TARTAR and calicum build up on the SIDE that isn't damaged, plus the fact, once blocked , that gland causes a whole heap or trouble, I seen it personally in a Bull Terrier, and also a Ridge back cross, and in both cases the end result was surgery, and you havn't even thought about the Trachea area etc,

the VASQUEZ should be OPEN / LOOSE at all times, until a check in introduced,

it is a great gadget, I have had deliquent dogs that pull like crazy on a Check / Choker till they are hoarse, and worked 1 hour with a VASQUEZ and have them calm, collected, no distress, no hoarsenees in their breathing etc, different animals..

THEN YOU TEACH THE OWNER hahahah

rgds