Fear Aggression‏

moon

Hi, I have a German shepherd dog called BRUTUS and is currently 11 mths old, I bought him from a breeder when he was between 5-6 mths old. During the past 5 mths we go to obedience classes once a week which is run by the German shepherd dog league and I had enrolled him in a bark buster training session (which was quite useless), tried rescue remedy to no effect & currently we are seeing a veterinary animal behavouralist (recommended by vet). He has been neutered when he was 7/8mths old.

Everytime we go to obedience classes he barks at other GSD's and the trainers and the whole class time is wasted because he just can't seem to focus on me. If he does focus on me, it will only be a matter of seconds. Most confusing thing is some weeks he may be good and bark less but some weeks he will bark more frequently. I am using a lot of food rewards when I am training him but everytime I train him outside of our home or if there are other passerby (especially dogs) then he totally looses control in a very aggressive way (ie lunging, growling, barking, totally in attach mode). The trainer says that he seems very fearful and is worried that he will bite someone. He can do most of the obedience at home (Sit, Stay, Come, Heel - On & Off leash) but when he is out he just cannot seem to focus on me. I am really scared that he has tunred into an aggressive dog. He has not been handled by anyone outside our family (no kids in family) before, once he sees people coming up close to him or focuses there attention on him he will just go out of control. The behavouralist suggested a change in his diet, Clicker training and Clomicalm. I have changed his diet but have not started on Clomicalm yet as I am still thinking about it. As for Clicker training, I have tried starting it but progress is slow, not sure if it could be that he has gotten use of verbal praise rather than the clicker. I feel that if he is not on the lead he will attack someone/dog. I feel quite lost as I have run out of ideas what I should do, as I don't have the heart to PTS him. Would anyone know any trainers within the St George region in Sydney that are quite good in handling fear aggressive dogs? Has anyone had any success stories at all in controlling the situation if not overcoming it?

BRUTUS.doc

The behavouralist suggested a change in his diet, Clicker training and Clomicalm.

Clomicalm is contra-indicated in matters pertaining to aggression.

You are right to keep your dog on lead.

It is difficult to advise anything over the net but in answer to your question, you might do well to contact Steve at K9 Force. Link is HERE.

As far as *success* stories are concerned - much depends on your expectations and interpretation of the word "success". You may not gain a dog who wants to go play with other doggies, but often improvement in behaviour to a manageable level is attainable.

Much depends on the dog's history and this is something you will need to provide to a behaviourist, assuming you are looking to change from the one whom you are currently with.

Edited by Erny

Yes he did.

He had started barking and lunging at people. Plus he was pulling a lot on the lead.

The lead pulling we saw a difference with straight away. Lunging as well but the fear aggression takes a bit longer to completely get rid of.

A few weeks after we had seen Steve, we moved to Germany with our dog. That did not really help, but then we knew how to help him and that made it so

much easier for us. :rolleyes:

I wish you good luck with your dog, and if anyone can help you it is steve I promise And so does all the other people that recommended him.

And to give you a kind of success story ... We take Henry with us now almost everywhere. He comes with us to Restaurants(even the fancy ones) , to the shops and he even has travelled on a ferry packed with people a few times.

We take Henry with us now almost everywhere. He comes with us to Restaurants(even the fancy ones) , to the shops and he even has travelled on a ferry packed with people a few times.

I wish our Country was as open to inviting dogs on public excersions such as this, as where you are now, Miccar96. Good for you in working through your dog's issues to the extent that you have.

Moon .... there are many success stories out there and yes they are similar to issues such as you are presently experiencing. I've worked and managed quite a number. The success level is variable because much depends on the dog's history etc. etc., but in each case where the owners were committed and followed through with the training, there has definately been an improvement that has rendered the matter pleasingly manageable.

Hi Moon,

Sorry, I can't help you with your boy but I really hope it works out for you. My beautiful GSD was also named Brutus and will forever be in my heart.

Hopefully you will find the right trainer for you and your Brutus will give you as much joy as mine did me.

The behavouralist suggested a change in his diet, Clicker training and Clomicalm.

Clomicalm is contra-indicated in matters pertaining to aggression.

I've read this when you posted it before, is this because it inhibits the dog's fear, so might make them more likely to attack? (if that makes sense)