Weighty Problem

Stewie_the_Frenchie

Hi there everyone,

This may only be for those who know giant breeds, but I have been trying to get in contact with my breeder and can't reach her so I thought I'd throw it out there. My 17 and a half week old Newfoundland was weighed last week at 25kgs (is this normal for this age? under?). However, I'm worried he's a bit thin as even though there's the typical thin layer of fat on his ribs, his spine and hips jutt out quite a bit when I run my hand down his spine. I'm worried he's too thin, the vet didn't say anything when he had his 16 week shots, but as these breeds have trouble with joints and bones I don't want to take any chances. I noticed he was thin when he came back from the boarding kennels where he was there for 10 days and they only fed him twice a day :hug: (he's usually 3x a day).

Is this just normal for a puppy going into adolescence?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Here's a recent pic at 17 weeks.

Thanks guys!

post-20601-1193031572_thumb.jpg

Turtle at 17 weeks...he's starting to change

Edited by newnewf

Hi there everyone,

This may only be for those who know giant breeds, but I have been trying to get in contact with my breeder and can't reach her so I thought I'd throw it out there. My 17 and a half week old Newfoundland was weighed last week at 25kgs (is this normal for this age? under?). However, I'm worried he's a bit thin as even though there's the typical thin layer of fat on his ribs, his spine and hips jutt out quite a bit when I run my hand down his spine. I'm worried he's too thin, the vet didn't say anything when he had his 16 week shots, but as these breeds have trouble with joints and bones I don't want to take any chances. I noticed he was thin when he came back from the boarding kennels where he was there for 10 days and they only fed him twice a day :hug: (he's usually 3x a day).

Is this just normal for a puppy going into adolescence?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Here's a recent pic at 17 weeks.

Thanks guys!

post-20601-1193031572_thumb.jpg

Turtle at 17 weeks...he's starting to change

Hmm not sure - we don't have a giant breed dog, however our dog eats nearly double the recommended amount however is still very thin - she is very active though - checked with the vet and he didn't think it was a problem. Have you checked with your vet?

I found these averages online:

A Newfoundland puppy should increase in weight by approximately 3 – 4 pounds (1.5 – 2 Kg) per week until it is six months old. Don’t allow the dog to become overweight, it will damage his growing limbs and joints. You should just be able to feel all the ribs, by pressing gently, as you run your hands along the dog’s ribcage.

And a detailed week by week chart here.

But do check with your breeder when you can and ask your vet next time you're in. :hug:

He looks like Edward did at that age, I thought he was too thin too but got my trainer (breeds saints) and the breeder to check him. he had just gone through a growth spurt as well

Eta has he started to change coat? Ed looked so much skinnier when his coat was changing

Edited by taffy

Ah, yes Turtle has been shedding his puppy fur at the moment, so that is a relief to know that you went through the same taffy! I think he has just had a growth spurt, but will still check with breeder/vet when I can. Thanks Molasseslass and austen for your thoughts, that chart is very very handy! thanks again guys

I think you're better off on the leaner side.

I'd be inclined to take the breeder's advice over that of the vet. Many vets say they prefer a layer of fat "in case they get sick" :eek:.

My dogs always know where their next meal is coming from (me!) and too many risks of problems with too much weight on large and giant breeds.

Turtle is a cutie :)

Keep him on the lean side until around 12 months. Extra weight on the growing joints can cause problems so dont be tempted to let him be a cute rolly polly puppy. He looks fine in the photo, and 25kg is a reasonable weight for 17 weeks old, from memory it would right on average for a Newf boy give or take a bit, depending on bone etc..

When those legs start to get longer and that little body seems to start getting longer, they do tend to look a bit on the thin side.

What and how much are you feeding??

My new Newf baby comes home this week!!!!!!!!!!

thanks poodle wrangler, it's nice to be reassured.

ashka1, that's so exciting about your little one coming home. to answer your question, turtle gets fed 3x a day:

b'fast - 1 cup of mince, 1 cup of dry (usually eukanubah), 1 cup of veg/rice

lunch - sardines or egg with 1 cup of dry

dinner - same as b'fast

he also gets a cup of milk twice a day and a vitamin c twice a day.

Hi

I don't know newfies but I know my dane who everyone tells me is too thin/ I don't feed enough to - does 8 cups of food a day sound enough??

The best advice I had is that it is better that they are leaner while growing to reduce pressure on the joints.

Tell the people who think you are under feeding to rack off!

All puppies go through the akward growth stages, many especially giant breeds look gangly, out of proportion and thin! You will probably find in a week or 2 he will be back to normal lol.

Definately with a heavy breed I prefer dogs to be on the lighter side :rolleyes:

He is a lovely little boy :rofl: