Raw Food Diet

~Chelby~

I want to start my dogs on a raw food diet, and I want to start today... of course.. no point waiting :rolleyes:

Where do i start?

I have read that i should give them 2-3% of their body weight, so, that is fine.

But, what proportion of raw meat v veges do i give.

My other issue is that tomorrow, hubby and i are going away for a week, and MIL is feeding them, so, i need something that is easy for her to do.

What i was thinking was mince meat mixed with chopped carrots, sweet potatoe and pumpkin. And maybe some chicken necks.

Would this be ok to start? Although i guess its better then dry food...

Why don't you purchase BARF patties (12 in a pack) to help your MIL out while you're away. They cost about $18 a pack and have the feeding directions on them. I feed my mini schnazuers these patties and they love them. I didn't have any problems when I started (they love food anyway). I don't know how economical this will be for you in the long run - but it's just a suggestion given your current situation.

If you go on to the BARF website (sorry don't know the web address but you can google) it will tell you where your nearest distributor \ outlet is.

Hope this is helpful, Cheers :rolleyes:

There are heaps of threads on this topic, if you do a search you will find loads of information.

I don't think what you are suggesting is quite enough variety but that is my opinion.

Ollie has chicken/tuna/beef/turkey or roo as protein and he has pretty much all veges (carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant etc etc) as well as a lot of fruits too. He also gets yoghurt and eggs and is supplemented with fish oil tablets and vitamin C. He sometimes has a drink of milk too (not often though)

Dr Billinghursts books on raw food are a good place to start - so is doing a search on the net, there is heaps of info out there.

Cheers

Jodie

PS in your other post about your girl with lymphoma, I would be changing her diet to raw food asap... But remember all dogs need slow changes, immediate change from one meal to the next could cause tummy problems...

Staffyluv - thank, yeah, i know its not variety enough, just all i could think of atm for ease of while we are away. Is to give meat in mince ok? Sounds silly question, but chelsea wont eat a meaty bone.

They used to have pasta and mixed frozen veges, which they loved, but, now, i want to go that bit further.

I have searched the net. Most things i come up with say about the benefits of raw food diets, but, not as good on the what to give, and quantities etc.

Lacey - i stumbled across the barf website, that is not a bad idea, and i hadnt considered that, so, i might see if i can get some today. I guess it works out to how long a pack will last.

Staffyluv - thank, yeah, i know its not variety enough, just all i could think of atm for ease of while we are away. Is to give meat in mince ok? Sounds silly question, but chelsea wont eat a meaty bone.

They used to have pasta and mixed frozen veges, which they loved, but, now, i want to go that bit further.

I have searched the net. Most things i come up with say about the benefits of raw food diets, but, not as good on the what to give, and quantities etc.

Lacey - i stumbled across the barf website, that is not a bad idea, and i hadnt considered that, so, i might see if i can get some today. I guess it works out to how long a pack will last.

Mince meat is OK - I personally like human grade stuff, not the pet mince (it is to fatty for my liking)... Your butcher will mince up just about anything for you these days.

Your dogs will still need something to keep their teeth clean - something hard enough to chew to give them a workout (or you may end up with teeth problems later on from a totally soft food diet)...

I know a lot of people bulk out the dogs food with pasta but it is high in carbs and not really that beneficial for dogs (IMO)

Jodie

I would suggest reading Billinghursts "Give your dog a bone" prior to any diet change.

If you are wanting to move to a completely raw diet with no kibble, you will need to do your research. Its not just a matter of chucking in any foods as supplements will need to be added etc and you need to know what vitamins/minerals etc are in the diff foods and how often your dogs need these.

There is also the option of Barf patties that has been suggested.

IMO do you research first :rolleyes:

Why don't you purchase BARF patties (12 in a pack) to help your MIL out while you're away. They cost about $18 a pack and have the feeding directions on them. I feed my mini schnazuers these patties and they love them. I didn't have any problems when I started (they love food anyway). I don't know how economical this will be for you in the long run - but it's just a suggestion given your current situation.

If you go on to the BARF website (sorry don't know the web address but you can google) it will tell you where your nearest distributor \ outlet is.

Hope this is helpful, Cheers :rolleyes:

Yep, I have also used these - the dog seems to like them and they are very easy - just defrost and away you go!

Dont think it was mentioned, but you have to either pulp the veggies or really blend them. They cant just be chopped up as the veggies will just pass right through your dogs system.

I would do as BC said and do alot of research before deciding, i read for a couple of months before actually starting my dogs on it.

Dont think it was mentioned, but you have to either pulp the veggies or really blend them. They cant just be chopped up as the veggies will just pass right through your dogs system.

I would do as BC said and do alot of research before deciding, i read for a couple of months before actually starting my dogs on it.

Yep me too. I did heaps of research on it. Everyone is different but if I'm going to do something it is done spot on, and more so when it comes to such a change in my dogs diet :rolleyes:

I would start by doing my homework as suggested.

If your dog will not eat raw meaty bones, you will find it virtually impossible to feed a BARF diet - that's what these diets are based on.

Do some reading and start your dog on some chicken bones - size dependant on your dog.

BARF is not rocket science but neither is it adding some raw meat and veggies to a processed food diet. Get it wrong and your dog will suffer.

well, i started them today.

I gave them 700grams of food. Prob abit much, about 600gms was meat, the rest vege. I was aiming to do 500gm meat and 200gm vege, but, got abit carried away.

I gave them some lamb (i think) flaps, with abit of rib still in it, chicken knecks, and chick breast with meat on it. Then, sweet potato, cucumber, beans, brocolli and cauli. Oh, and a tin each of muscles.(sp??)

Chelsea, first thing she did was pick out the chick breast and put it to one side, and happily ate the rest. Abbey, stole the chick breast from her.

It went pretty much as i expected. Chelsea will eat bones no problems, but, just not with alot of meat on it. I can give her bones from the butcher, where most of the meat is removed, but, i have once before given her a shank, and she wouldnt eat it.

So, tomorrow, will get some more necks for chelsea and Abbey can have that extra breast. Its to much for her food wise, but, i fly to Melbourne, and i dont time to undo it all now. She can live like a king for 5 days!...

When i get back, will get some of these books you have mentioned, and study more.

Thank you to everyone for you replys, and i hope to get much more insight into this...

oh, and please... how did i do?

I cant comment on how you went as you still need to research this. You will need to lean more towards green leafy veges and fruit, and do not chop them up and put them in the bowl. Defeats the purpose. You need to feed the chopped fruit and veg through a juicer.

This is an example of what my dogs would get:

Morning - 1 lambs flap, lambs neck or chicken carcass (the dogs must eat the bone or there is no point to the diet)

Dinner - raw mince or offal with spinach, apple, pears, carrots, celery, silverbeet (along those lines but different depending on what was on sale etc)

I would also supplement this with either an egg, sardines, flaxseed oil, extra virgin oil, cod liver oil all in different measurements and on different nights depending on what was needed in the diet how many times a week.

As poodlefan said, it is not rocket science once you have researched and know what nights your dog need xyz, but there is no benefit to your dog and your dog will suffer unless it is done correctly.

BC, thanks for your detailed reply - that helps alot of my questions

Please dont get me wrong. I know i am jumping in on this raw foods/barf diet very quickly, and i would much much rather read and gather information before subjecting my dogs to this change.

But, to me, every day that i wait, is a day that i am loosing time. Even if i what i am giving her is not the best thing i could give her, its got to be better then the dry chum she was eating. I am just so desperate to try and save her.

I am going to read that billinghurst book, and get as much info as i possibly can, but, to wait until i get that information, i feel like i am doing nothing to help her. I guess even what i have feed them on tonight, has helped me as well, that i have done something good towards her possible 'recovery'. I know i cant cure the cancer, but, i will do as much as i can to help stop slow it down.

And, i just cant afford to waste time.

Does that make sense. Doing little is better then doing nothing at all.

Edited by ~Chelby~

BC, thanks for your detailed reply - that helps alot of my questions

Please dont get me wrong. I know i am jumping in on this raw foods/barf diet very quickly, and i would much much rather read and gather information before subjecting my dogs to this change.

But, to me, every day that i wait, is a day that i am loosing time. Even if i what i am giving her is not the best thing i could give her, its got to be better then the dry chum she was eating. I am just so desperate to try and save her.

I am going to read that billinghurst book, and get as much info as i possibly can, but, to wait until i get that information, i feel like i am doing nothing to help her. I guess even what i have feed them on tonight, has helped me as well, that i have done something good towards her possible 'recovery'. I know i cant cure the cancer, but, i will do as much as i can to help stop slow it down.

And, i just cant afford to waste time.

Does that make sense. Doing little is better then doing nothing at all.

Yep fair point. I didn't even read your other posts until not long ago :love:

Any fresh food etc is better than the Chum crap, but once you get back and organised you can then really get into it, and espeically in your situation, a correct BARF diet could do wonders.

Good luck !!!!

Getting the dog off the cheap processed foods and onto a higher quality processed food would be preferable IMO than to attempt a raw foods diet with insufficient knowledge. It's not hard nor time-consuming to research how to do a raw diet properly. The Billinghurst books are easy to read - I read the BARF diet in a day then just kept going back when I needed more info.

You need to keep the basic elements in mind:

1. Raw meaty bones make up the bulk of this regimen. Choose the softer bones in preference to hard bones. Shanks for example, are NOT a good choice. Try lamb ribs (flap), neck chops or pieces, or lean off-cuts instead. Choose chicken pieces except drumsticks so necks, wings, frames are all good. Beef brisket is a good choice but neck bones and "soup bones" aren't.

2. Raw offal is essential. Dogs need this for the extra vitamins and minerals organs contain.

3. Sardines or other oily fish are required.

4. Veg and fruits MUST be pulped before serving. I use a juicer and throw out much of the juice, keeping the pulp and a small amount of juice to 'moisten' the mix but not saturate it. Use sparingly - my dogs get plant matter no more than twice per week and they're fed twice daily - so that equals two meals out of fourteen that contain a *very small* quantity of plant matter. How much exactly? My tiny dog gets a teaspoon-full, while the two bigger dogs get a couple of tablespoons-full each.

5. Other extras include plain (non flavoured and non sweetened) yoghurt; raw eggs; some people use supplements but I do this only on an "as needed" basis b/c the diet I provide is fairly good nutritionally-speaking.

You'll figure it out as your dog's body responds to the food. :) But you must IMO research appropriately before switching. However, in the meantime, you *could* get away with just chicken frames (for example) to get you through...this is only a stop-gap measure though.

BC - sorry, i forgot that i did not mention in my original post that Chelsea had cancer, hense the desperation in my wanting to go to raw food diet.

I am sure it would of made more sense if i added that bit of info :thumbsup:

Lillysmum - thank you for your info as well

Will be getting billinghurst book today, (lillysmum - am glad you said it was a quick read) and reading up. He is recommended by so many people, and, on so many sites. I am sure it will answer many more of my questions..

Thanks again for your advise and support.