Puppy Digging Holes

chloebear

My four month old puppy has started digging holes in our yard. I fill the holes in and she digs them out again. I was told to put pepper in them, but that hasn't stopped her. What else can I do?

Hi Chloebear

Flynn started digging holes and I was advised to put some of his poop in the hole so that he wouldn't want to dig there anymore. It worked. But now he digs in lots of other places :rolleyes: I'm just hoping now that it is something he'll grow out of - just a puppy thing like chewing everything. I vaguely recall my last dog doing something similar but then getting to a stage where he only dug holes if it was to put bones in them (which might be why Flynn is digging - he's finding the buried treasure!).

My four month old puppy has started digging holes in our yard. I fill the holes in and she digs them out again. I was told to put pepper in them, but that hasn't stopped her. What else can I do?

Hi Chloebear

Flynn started digging holes and I was advised to put some of his poop in the hole so that he wouldn't want to dig there anymore. It worked. But now he digs in lots of other places :rolleyes: I'm just hoping now that it is something he'll grow out of - just a puppy thing like chewing everything. I vaguely recall my last dog doing something similar but then getting to a stage where he only dug holes if it was to put bones in them (which might be why Flynn is digging - he's finding the buried treasure!).

I have 5 acreas that she could dig on, but no she chooses to dig on the section of grass that we take good care of for the kids to play on........just got to love it, grrrh

Haha, let me know when you figure out what works:

We have tried the following (none of which has been a miracle solution for us):

- filling the holes with poop

- burying balloons and filling holes

- burying rocks under the topsoil

- watching them through the windows (they know we are there watching and wont dig)

We havent yet tried making a sandpit for them where we can train them it is ok to dig.

Lots of luck! I tried everything with the first pap, and he just grew out of it basically....but then the new puppy came and it is all starting again AAUUGGH I even caught the older one trying to bury the pup!!!

frobury1.jpg

That's about when I just gave up and hope the pup grows out of it too :love:

Lots of luck! I tried everything with the first pap, and he just grew out of it basically....but then the new puppy came and it is all starting again AAUUGGH I even caught the older one trying to bury the pup!!!

frobury1.jpg

That's about when I just gave up and hope the pup grows out of it too :laugh:

:love: That picture is great!

If you find an answer please let me know :love: we live in the suburbs and all I do is put steel mesh over the hole so they cant dig there again, however I do have the answer for things like ripping washing off the line (never had this problem thank goodness) or chewing anything you dont want them too....

Gypsy was digging holes along the fence line is the really sandy areas. The neighbour has cought her a few times and told her off and we have been putting pickly branches ove the spots so she wont re-dig the holes. But not really a good option for the Kids play areas.