Whats Going On?

Eldoop

Hi everyone, I'm abit unsure whats going on here with Cody, just over a week ago I started leaving his crate open at night as he has been so good and I get up around 6 in the mornings to take him out to the toilet, and over that time with the crate being open he has been great, so one step at a time over the past week I've taken the crate away and he has been sleeping with minx on their beds, I've still had paper down just incase, but every morning he waits for me to take them out, or crys to let me know, or 80% of the time I get up and the dogs are still asleep :rofl: so I end up waking him up to take him out, and I always take him out before bed etc etc, so as you can see, he has been fantastic, but yesterday he got up and pee'd, not on the paper but in the middle of the room :D so I thought right we go back afew steps, and put the crate back last night, then he wakes up, didn't cry like he use to do, but I could hear him moving around so knew he was awake, so I got up to take him out before he did it in his crate and it was 3:30 a.m. :D so why is he going backwards in his toilet training? as he is no longer letting me know :rofl: also afew nights ago before it was dark the kids and OH was outside mucking around, and the sliding door was open and the little bugger came just inside the door and pee'd then went back outside :rofl: which is something he has never done before?? and he normally has a little wimper to let me know its toilet time, but this past week he has stopped telling me and I have to now keep an good eye on his every move in the house as I cant trust him anymore and he has been going inside, and yesterday he spent the whole day outside, and (I've had this whinge many times) we have not had a dog that will let us know they need to go out, Minx just sits at the door until someone see's her, I really want a dog that will bark or cry to say 'I want out', what am I doing wrong in the training? and why is Cody going backwards? advice please :cry:

:eek: Its normal...you relaxed the reigns too soon and he is letting you know. Go back to step one like he just arrived in the house and he will be back in order by the end of the week, he is far too young to self supervise, even if he is doing great, just keep using the same rules - pups thrive on consistency. I did the same thing with Mazza and I had to start back at square one, now he is fine but I wont be trying anything knew too soon. :D They are just lil pups after all.

The time you said the family was in the garden playing around....maybe he thought he should go inside to pee as they were in his backyard..just a thought.

Benji is so good now, he comes to us when he wants out, wont leave us alone til we take him. In the mornings he wakes up early, we put him on the bed..so we can sleep a bit more then get up, he's happy with that. Benji now knows he's not allowed on the bed unless we put him there, if he jumps up himself...we just put him off it.

Benji wasnt toilet trained fully at 14 weeks.

Mazza hasn't had an accident at home for about a month, he likes to poop on his nans carpet but :eek: We will work on toilet training at all locations as time goes on...he is confused because he has an indoor toilet at home so if he cant find it he will choose whaterver is closest in texture, usually a rug - outside grass is a luxury :D

Eldoop: have you ever tried the bell ringing method? Hang a bell or chime at nose height (the dogs not yours) and wack it everytime you open the door to let them out....I think you'll find they will start nudging it too. I have no idea how to make them bark to be let out, unless your willing to make them so busting they start to whine...but thats not really fun...

Too far too fast, by the sounds of it. As a rule of thumb, housetraining is incomplete until the pup/dog is taking themselves outside for the toilet AND that there have been no accidents inside for at least 4 weeks beyond that. THEN you can BEGIN to relax bit by bit, but still maintain a degree of vigilence for a little while until you are certain.