Dog Appeasing Pheromone

millie

Virbac Dog Appeasing Pheromone. Was interested to know if anyone has used this product and whether it works? I have a small boarding kennel and was interested to know whether it would work in this situation. I know it is made by Virbac and sold through vets.

Assume you are talking plug in? I have both plug in and spray.

I used both recently for the first week after my dog had surgery.

I also used it when I brought the second dog home for the first time.

Don't know how it would go in a kennel though....... you don't want winds or draughts as they would blow the pheromones away :confused:

Honestly, for the cost of the DAP (and it is expensive) I would give Rescue Remedy, I actually think that is more effective by far and you see results very quickly.

The DAP is far more subtle.

Assume you are talking plug in? I have both plug in and spray.

I used both recently for the first week after my dog had surgery.

I also used it when I brought the second dog home for the first time.

Don't know how it would go in a kennel though....... you don't want winds or draughts as they would blow the pheromones away :confused:

Honestly, for the cost of the DAP (and it is expensive) I would give Rescue Remedy, I actually think that is more effective by far and you see results very quickly.

The DAP is far more subtle.

Thanks for the information.

I have never used rescue remedy but have heard of it. Is it a spray from the health food shop? How does it work? Our kennels are indoors.

Edited by millie

DAP is ideal for the boarding kennel environment. :confused: If only all kennels could be bothered to spend the $$$...

We use it at home (Diffuser and spray) and in the car (spray) and if available, I'd use the collars too.

I buy my supplies from the UK b/c it's too expensive here. :rofl:

Thanks lillysmum, where do you buy it from in the UK. I didn't know there were collars or sprays, I had only heard of the diffuser. I thought it would be a great idea in the kennels.

Only the diffusers are available here in Australia - but sprays are available overseas and diffuser refills are cheaper to buy overseas anyway.

I used an online vet supply store from Scotland - just google DAP and see what you come up with or search ebay. I can't find the link for my supplier right now, something like _____4you.co.uk

Rescue Remendy is available in drops - from a Health Food Store and good chemists or try www.holisticanimalmedicines.com

There is the Bach flower Rescue Remedy in drops or there is the Homeopathic RR in pillules (poppy pills) - I prefer the Bach Flower Rescue Remedy for dogs as it is easy to administer - I also use it myself and it is brilliant.

It is also a lot cheaper to use than the DAP - but maybe you should try both and see what works best in your kennels.

:confused:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

I prefer the Bach Flower Rescue Remedy for dogs as it is easy to administer

D&D do you use the drops? I've been trying it with Chopper and Angel for the last few weeks due to a barking complaint. I think it's helping, but I find it a bit of a nightmare trying to get the dropper in to their mouths!

Have used both a lot with rescue dogs and one special child of my own. I find rescue remedy pretty mild and she likes the taste but have never noticed much difference at all. The DAP infusers have been quite impressive in lots of households and we have the spray and collar from overseas as well.

With the infusers on I have had difficult to toilet train dogs just stop going inside (was pretty to jump from the rooftops when I first put it on!!), my dogs don't guard the house as much, and don't actually follow me around the house anywhere near as much.

Other clients have had dgs that would sit still for home medial treatments when they wouldn't have before. I have used the collars for stranger aware/anxious dogs and they work brilliantly, it's just a shame it looks like a flea collar and so I get grief from other dog people!

The spray is handy for first time crate training rescue ogs who have not seen a crate and generally I don't have a problem getting them in there anymore, they are pretty keen.

Have also noticed that when dog friends come over that they don't mark my house and yard as much either, sees they can't be bothered.

Overall I would use RR but think it's pretty over-rated (personal opinion of course!!), the DAP is brilliant. Probably most value is the infusers and the collars. The infusers does a really big area so actually they work out pretty effective cost wise.

Praised be the DAP.

I had tried everything with Godzilla for lots of problems then some one of this forum mentioned DAP my vet obtained it for me and the change was amazing.

HINT>

Just buy the refills and also the Mortein insect plug ins from the supermarket, works wonderfully for the DAP and for the feliway if you have cats.

I prefer the Bach Flower Rescue Remedy for dogs as it is easy to administer

D&D do you use the drops? I've been trying it with Chopper and Angel for the last few weeks due to a barking complaint. I think it's helping, but I find it a bit of a nightmare trying to get the dropper in to their mouths!

Yes, I use the drops on my young lad who is scared of thunder - I just squirt the dropper down the side of the mouth, as long as it goes in the mouth somehow, I don't care how it gets there :cry:

Alternatively you can drop it onto the back of their necks like a flea treatment but you need to make sure it makes contact with the skin - I prefer using it orally though.

Duncan lets me do anything to him anyway so is easy to treat - and I have found it does work very well with thunder and other anxious moments.

The thing with RR is you need to give it every 15 minutes for the first 3 or 4 doses and then every 30 minutes for the next couple of doses and then if still required, maybe once an hour or two. It's trial and error and because I have used it often in different situations and different numbers of doses, I am quite confident with using it, and the effectiveness of it. :angel:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

DAP is ideal for the boarding kennel environment. :angel: If only all kennels could be bothered to spend the $$$...

We use it at home (Diffuser and spray) and in the car (spray) and if available, I'd use the collars too.

I buy my supplies from the UK b/c it's too expensive here. :cry:

Thanks lillysmum, where do you buy it from in the UK. I didn't know there were collars or sprays, I had only heard of the diffuser. I thought it would be a great idea in the kennels.

Pilgrims shopfront, let me see if I can find a link...

Pilgrim's Pet Care

Much better price than here in Australia...haven't looked since March but will be buying refills again very soon. It's now storm season in Darwin...Rescue Remedy is helping somewhat but the DAP is the business! :cry: Oh, the spray is still helping but obviously we have to be home to spray it on their bedding...storms can be a bit random at this time of year. :mad

Thanks everybody. I have ordered DAP spray and diffuser from overseas. In the meantime I am also going to try rescue remedy. Are the drops better than the spray? Do the drops work just as well added to their water?

Thanks everybody. I have ordered DAP spray and diffuser from overseas. In the meantime I am also going to try rescue remedy. Are the drops better than the spray? Do the drops work just as well added to their water?

I've only seen RR in drop form, I give it as is to the dog/s in need. The dosage rate is "a few drops often" but I give up to 10 drops at a time with no ill-effects. :) As I have two thunder-phobic dogs, I don't see the point of diluting the RR in their water bowls...probably wouldn't work too well IMO. But perhaps others have done so with success? I do hear of people suggesting it so I think it must be do-able. :thumbsup:

I prefer to use Rescue Remedy for a particular situation.

If it's put in a dogs water bowl, how do you know when and how often they will drink it?

You are much better to dose the dog yourself.

The drops are easier than the poppy pills - because you can't touch the poppy pills (oils on skin will render them less effective if not ineffective).

If you haven't used either before, just try the drops and use frequently when required.

I use it for myself and it beats a stiff gin any day! :)