Digging Out

Sayly

Our Border Terrier has learnt how to dig out of the yard, she doesn’t dig except to get out of the yard. She goes directly to our neighbours to terrorise their rabbit or her recent trick is to go into our other neighbours and try and start something with their 25kg cross breed male who is really sweet and wouldn’t start anything himself. However another dog in his yard having a go at him, how many dogs wouldn’t react.

She can dig a hole big enough to worm her way out of the yard in no time, she’s a terrier so digging seems to come naturally. We have only ever had terriers but she is our first Border.

We have two other dogs both younger who show no interest in digging out or following her through her holes. These two are always up for a play should she want to. They have plenty of toys, a big yard and Mum has been home more lately than ever before.

We have a 20 month old Bull Terrier x BC (we think) who is more intelligent and people orientated and she is quite happy and hasn’t done anything destructive in many months, so I wouldn’t think Gracie was digging out due to boredom.

I don’t think it is because of separation anxiety because she dug out today while mum was home and sleeping inside. Gracie knew she was home.

It all started when we went away for a night and our neighbours looked after the dogs. Their kids talked to Gracie through the fence after that and she worked out she could dig under to get into their yard and chase their cat.

Every time she has gotten out she has ended up chasing something (neighbours pet roo, cats, terrorising next doors rabbit and now going into the other neighbours to start something with their male who is 3 times her size).

It feels to me like a learned behaviour which always rewards itself because she always finds something to chase?

We have placed chicken wire and heavy duty wire down around all the fences but she always manages to find some tiny gap or hole. Today she managed to push under some of the chicken wire and dig herself out. She will go for weeks and months without doing it and when we finally think we have the yard dig-proof she finds some way to get out. Our dogs are outside 95% of the time and are always outside when we are home. I know some people don’t agree with this and if it were my house they would be inside a lot more, but it’s my parent’s home and so their rules. We could bring her into the laundry but it’s small and no where near big enough for all three dogs and she loves being with the others (but obviously not enough to stay in the yard with them…).

She is three years old and is desexed. I have thought about behaviourist but money at the moment is really tight because of Mum’s medical bills. Is there anything we can do to stop her? As I said I think its a learned behaviour which always rewards itself because she always finds something to chase.

Sorry it's all a bit jumbled, I'm just so frustrated. Everyone is. Everyone here is under so much pressure and stress at the moment and we are just finding it hard to deal with this at the moment too.

K9: we do sell these containment systems, we also have dog runs that could be of use to you....

If your dog is only diging out of one area then you can use a zone.. This is a device that keeps your dog away from a certain area, easy & quick set up, cheaper than pens & containment systems, easily moveable...

You have the wire placed along the bottom of the fence with a 90 degree bend in it, so some of it goes along the ground into the yard, and some of it goes up the fence? That stopped a digging foster I had.

If that doesn't help, then perhaps something that will is an electronic containment system, like this one from Innotek.

Yeah it is up against the fence with a bend it up the fence. We think we have it all covered and she finds somewhere that she can lift/push and she's out.

She is digging in any spot that she can find that doesn't have enough wire down to keep her in, so no specific areas unfortunately. She's part wombat I think.

Only problem with containment systems is our other dogs pull at collars, especially on Gracie, I don't know how tough they are and if they would destroy it, but all the horror stories about dogs being killed because of getting caught in collars freaks me out.

We are going to start looking at an electric wire across the bottom of the fence now, thanks Pandii. We have checked the fences again and once again we don't think there is anywhere for her to dig out but if there is I'm sure she will find it. :)

ETA: Thank you to everyone who has responded the help is very much appreciated.

Edited by Lyndsay