Title Changed, Molly The Labrador's Thread.

littlelabrador

Can I suggest that you use cheese instead of her biscuits for treats. I understand tha tyou dont want to use any new foods BUT the number of biscuits she is eating MAY but not certainly be contributing to her runny poo situation and perhaps the number of times she goes.

The grated carrot and the cheese will both help bind her up a little. Certainly wont hurt her.

Perhaps the noise that woke you up was Molly trying to get your attention to go out to do her business, she may be getting better at house training than we all imagine. She may have left her call a bit late but may have been trying.

Keep up the good work it sounds like a real success story.

We will all be checking for updates

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, havent seen the cockatoo's today. I took Molly to the vet late this afternoon, for her last vaccinations (for a while anyway!), etc, so we probably missed the cockatoo's time.

I felt really really guilty today, it is my daughters birthday and she really wanted to go to lunch and go shopping (yes, at 5, lol), and as we've been staying close to home since we got Molly i thought it was something we needed to do. Poor Molly was alone for 4 hours, and i really felt awful. I'm sure she slept part of it, and played part of it, and was fine when we got back, but i still felt neglectful. Then i took her to the vet, poor puppy.

Anyway, today Molly was 9.4kg, so she is gaining well, but the vet still thought she looks a tad on the lean side, although i think she looks fine. She has gained 2.4kg in the last two weeks. Last thing i want is an overweight puppy. I feed her what the packet says for her weight, plus a little chicken, rice, mince, whatever i have as well. She had the meaty end of a lamb shank today too, which must have a fair bit of energy in it.

Sorry, no havent got any more pics yet, she hasnt really changed in the last week, lol. She is a lovely looking puppy though, i must say that whenever we take her out with us, we get lots of comments about what a beautiful lab she is, people commenting on her 'look'. I will take some more pics when i take her to the beach in a couple weeks time.

Molly had the worst diarrhoea overnight ! Yuk, we woke to find 5 huge puddles of liquid poo on the kitchen floor. It was pretty gross and stunk the whole house out. I've washed the floor twice and i can still smell it. :p

Did call the vet about it and she thinks its most likely to be the lamb bone i gave her last night, as she said that if they are intolerant diet wise, its usually to proteins. So, poor Mols, is back on chicken and rice today, and being starved from breakfast till dinner late tonight. Probably chicken and rice tomorrow too, depending on what its like then. I did notice amongst the diarrhoea that the bits of carrot came straight through her unchanged. The vet says to keep her purely on the puppy food with nothing else for a while, as she was going okay on it until last night.

yuk !

I took Molly with me to Petbarn today to get more puppy food. OMG, the number of people that stopped to pat her !!! (you can take dogs on leads in to the store, i think that is great!). Anyway, it reminded me of when my daughter was a baby, and all the nana's at the shops want to bend over the pram and touch her !! Of course, everytime someone came up Molly went nuts with excitement. Eventually she would sit, but wow, when does the excitement of seeing new people die down ?? lol. They are real conversation starters arent they ?

poo's back to normal by the way, thankfully.

oh very funny.

Molly went to the beach today !! I thought she would love the water, labrador and all, but noooo, she was terrified of the waves coming in ! So, basically my husband and daughter went in, and Molly and i sat on the sand about 15 metres back, and watched. She was ok with that, and had a ball meeting a lot of new people. Every second person who walked past seemed to say 'oh, a puppy, can i pat it ?' haha. And mostly teenage boys, which surprised me. Molly had a ball digging some big holes in the sand, something she hasn't been able to do at home, so i hope she doesn't transfer that newly acquired skill !

Is there a way to get them used to the water ? I took her ball along and tried to roll it towards the water, thinking she'd chase it in, but she wasnt having any of that, dug her feet in and would not move.

Despite what people think not ALL labradors are water mad = and that doesn't mean they are deficient.

Perhaps the beach is a big ask, try a lagoon or dam or river etc where the water is still, you could use a child's shell (buy at KMart) and fill it with water in the back yard for her to play in. When she gets the idea she should come round.

As for the excitement thing - well I think 4leggedvariety is correct. Labs are pups and easilly excited until about 3 and then for the next 12 - 18 months you get this placid loving mate- then they get old and slow down. Still healthy but not over excieted like pups.

Well we do have one of those clams, we arent supposed to fill pools of any sort here, but i can put a couple buckets from the shower into it for her to play in, will give that a go one day this week, maybe if i throw some plastic toys in there she will go after them ?

heres a pic of her sitting in one of her holes from yesterday. You cant tell from the photo, but she was digging quite deep, hence the sand all over her nose !

100_2756.jpg

Oh, hasn't she grown . She has the typical pre-teenage look about her. I wish I have some photos of my first lab that I can show you, almost identical. I'll see if I can scan some pics of her. She is now long gone, she was from the pre-digital camera era.

I have found with all my dogs if I don't make any attempt to try to get them to swim and just ignore what they do or don't do, very quickly they come & join in the fun.

Looks like your family & Molly are having so much fun. Good on ya :laugh:

She's not so clever tonight.

Molly bit my daughter. I dont mean a nip, i mean a bite. Hubby was playing ball with her outside, Daughter was out there too, and decided she wanted to get a different ball to throw for Molly. She ran to get the other ball, and Molly saw, ran for it too, and jumped up and bit her to stop her getting the ball (assume that was her intention). She bit her on her inner elbow, a deep puncture type of wound. Daughter was very upset, screaming her head off like i've not heard in years, but seems ok now. Molly was disciplined at the time, (as was daughter) but it worries me. I know my daughter shouldn't have run for the ball, but im surprised she got a real bite.

I'm not quite sure how to handle it. What should i do to stop her attempting to bite again ? I'm just really disappointed that she bit her.

I don't have any advice, but I'd just like to say that while her biting was certainly not ideal, it's happened with my lab in the past as well.

My first lab bit my sister on the nose when she was about 3-4 months and old and bit me rather viciously when she was a little older than that. However, she grew up to be the most gorgeously good natured dog and would let us do ANYTHING with her and never ever bit or tried to hurt us again. So don't give up on Molly.

I would say though, teach your daughter how to play with Molly and make sure she knows that running around with flapping clothes and/or screaming isn't ideal and make sure that Molly knows biting is very bad, by saying a firm no and giving her a time out as soon as she does it.