Title Changed, Molly The Labrador's Thread.

littlelabrador

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's going well, no food growls for over 24 hours now. I'm happy about that. Will try varying it but might wait till tomorrow. This morning she was a bit quick at one point, and i had to pick the bowl up and say 'uh uh' and she sat and looked at me like 'well ok, but give it back please'. lol. I can walk around in there at the same time and it seems ok with her. My daughter ran in yesteraday (she didnt know i was feeding the dog) and Molly wasn't bothered by that either, so that was good. Of course i told my daughter to turn around and go back out though.

The tag came from Ebay. Name and symbol if you want it, on the front, and vets name and number on the back, for $10 each. I thought they were pretty good. Got them for the cats at the same time too, as they tend to lose their collars every now and then.

off to give her a ball play while its not raining !

Molly was a bit jumpy, and barked at my husband last night. This was the same as last week, when we sat down to watch tv. I really think she just wants his attention. I has been raining here for a week, she isnt getting much outside time because of the rain, and she just wants him to play. She did stop when told no.

I gave Molly her first bone today. Well......we did have a few growls when i went to check on her, not aggressive, but more warning, but i fully expected that, because im sure her thoughts were 'this is the best damn thing i've ever eaten, no way are you taking it from me'. So, she did love it. I couldnt find brisket or lamb flaps, butcher said he'd use it all in his sausages (eeewww), so i ended up buying a lamb shank from coles. It was precut in half horizontally, so i just gave her the smaller end as i thought the whole thing might be too much. She spent an hour eating it, but didnt actually eat the bone. She got everything else off it, but left the actual bone. So, when will she 'get it' that she can eat the bone ?

rehome her ?? no way !! Do you think i'd be here getting all this advice if that was our intention ? Nooooo, came here to work out the problems so we can end up with a great family dog. Last week i thought we'd made a massive mistake, but, stress gets to you. Things are improving and i'm sure she will get there in the end. She is kinda cute hey ?

See the pic of yours (above) ? Im assuming the big one is a puppy pic. How come all the labs i see have that chubby puppy look ? We dont seem to have had that look. I dont think Molly is underweight, she looks ok. She's 12 weeks and around 8kg, does that sound right ?

Hi Littlelabrador

As you know I have been watching your thread.

Sounds about right to me. The photo of the black puppy was probably taken before he was 8 weeks and because you didn't get Molly until she was 8 weeks (assumptions here) you probably didnt see her like that. Plus I think its also the angle the photo is taken at.

Your Molly is gorgeous, right on target and very intelligent - that's why she's pushing boundaries. Just remember she'snot the boss etc.

As for the bone she will chew the bone bare and then maybe play with it every so often if you left it lying around but I wouldn't do that given that you are trying to avoid any confrontations over food. When she is older and possessed of more jaw strength she will chew the bone away. Its a gradual process.

Ask the butcher if he will just save you a couple of flaps - you can always cut them to size at home and freeze them.

You are doing all the right things and she is making porgress every day - good advice from The Spotted Devil about going slowly and always using the option of taking a step back if you have to re-enforce something.

Keep going you are building a life long friendship with a beautiful friend. :rofl:

Hehe, Mercedes is right, my sig picture is Scud at 6wks. He'd lost the chubby puppy look by the time we got him home 2wks later. To say that Molly is 'kinda' cute is a huuuuuge understatement! Scud would love her half to death, hehehe.

Had puppy preschool again today. Learning to 'stay', 'wait', and 'come'. Well she did the 'stay' and 'come' pretty well, not so good yet on the 'wait'. She'll get there, we missed it last week because of the weather, and this was the last of 4. Next one starts up on the 24th, and we can do it again, so we will. Otherwise it will be a long time until the dog obedience classes next year.

She's been pretty good today. Still having 'poo' issues though. We're up to 50/50 old and new food, and although it is well formed, she did 7 poos in 24 hours yesterday, so just keeping an eye on that. Hopefully it will settle down in a few days. I do have to take her back to the vet middle of next week for the last lot of needles, so will mention it then. I did weigh her today after puppy preschool and she is 8.6 kg at 12.5 weeks. She looks okay to me. Have to keep it that way. Took her to visit my Dad's lab today too. Henry is 10 or 11 (cant remember) and HUGE ! He is around 50kg and to me looked like a huge black wolf going for my baby !! :rofl: But she was ok, lots of licking and smelling, and he tolerated it well. Just got a little jealous sounding towards the end, probably because i am 'his' and he wonders what's going on and who she is. I had her on the lead the whole time, as its the first time she has 'met' an adult dog.

We are having my daughters birthday party tomorrow. I am dreading it ! 6 kids under 6 with her highness. I'm sure she'll be extremely excited. I plan to have her on her harness/lead when they all get here, and confine her if she gets too hard to handle. She usually crashes out for a good few hours in the afternoon, so hopefully that will still happen.

Molly is good now with the meals, NO growling, yay. As soon as i tell her its food time she goes in the laundry and sits and waits, how cute is that? I put the food in the bowl, put it down and she doesnt move until i say 'go'. Then sits and i refill, she looks at me for the 'go' and then eats. That is working really well.

Molly is good now with the meals, NO growling, yay. As soon as i tell her its food time she goes in the laundry and sits and waits, how cute is that? I put the food in the bowl, put it down and she doesnt move until i say 'go'. Then sits and i refill, she looks at me for the 'go' and then eats. That is working really well.

That's very cute :rofl: Well done with her training :rofl:

What a good girl she is becoming.

Tomorrow..maybe you could make the kids feel important...and explain that as Molly is a baby, and this is her first party..they may need to help her by being quiet around her, etc etc...

Little girls of this age usually respond well to being "mum" to any sort of baby :rofl:

Word parents up,too...

best of luck!

littlelab,

It's so wonderful to hear that you & Molly are going along great guns and hope the birthday party today is a success. Please let us know how that went.

Now that you have success with the food, you can apply the same methods to all the other privileges you are going to give her. Examples like going through doorways, going for a walk, playing a game with her, getting attention from anybody etc etc etc. She has to comply with your wishes first, then you grant her permission to do the activity that follows.

Pity Molly could not have any birthday cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone who is still interested in Molly's antics !

Party went ok. My brother, the dog nut, actually spent a lot of time with her, she didn't bother the kids too much. A bit of jumping and chasing to start with, but in the end she was pretty worn out and just went to sleep.

Glad i have to take her back to the vet later this week for the last needles, as im still not sure about her food and poo's. It varies from soft formed to well formed, but she is doing a lot of them, probably 5-6 per day. Usually two overnight, which she eats, (eeeeeewwwwkkk), a couple outside in the morning and a couple in the evening. They are usually right after the other, ie, she does one and a minute or so later, does another. I'd almost say she is toilet trained, in that if the back door is open, she will do everything outside. But, at night, she generally does the two poos and a wee, on the kitchen floor. I know she eats the poo's because you can see the leftover bits ! how gross. Anyway, so will suss it all out with the vet later this week.

I have never did hear back from the breeder about our behaviour issues.

My lab used to eat poos too!

Apparently feeding them canned pineapple stops them eating it because it alters the taste of the poo. I don't know about that though.

There's nothing grosser than kissing a dog and then realising what she's just been eating. ;)

Oh Ahona! What a horrid thought :happydance::champagne::cheers:

Go Molly you are doing so well. ;)

The two poos bit is prbably because she isnt 'finishing' if you get my drift and so goes again. That's a maturity thing. I would be inclined to add some grated carrot to her diet - extra fibre will help bind her up.

As for the eating it bit - :cheer: DOnt have a cure for that, never been a problem for us - that we know of!!

Keep the updates coming I love Labrador success stories. :happydance:

I'm going to start adding things to her food, as soon as she is on 100% new food, and ok on it for a week or so. I dont want to rush anything. Too many poo's cant be a great thing, but, i want to be sure it is firm, before i go adding extra foods, so i can then tell if any thing in particular changes the balance. Yesterday my brother was horrified that i dont have any 'treats' for her yet. I had to say 'shes not suffering !'. I use her dry food for training treats, and i have lots of treats aside for her, lots of samples of pig ears, snouts, etc, (eeww) that we have been given. I just want to go slow, one thing at a time, and be sure she isnt intolerant of various ingredients.

She woke me up at 5am today, i heard a sound that i thought was vomiting, and rushed down to the kitchen to find her sitting there wagging her tail, excited that i was up so early. No vomit, so i dont know what i heard, lol. But i did manage to catch the poo's uneaten, must have been recently done, for once !

Oh im not sure about pineapple at all ! i can imagine that will go right through her at the moment, so i think i will leave that a while.