A Passion For Fresh Chicken As A Younger Pup

moirat

I adopted Dougal a 9 month old entire male westie in September, as he was advertised for sale due to his passion for FRESH chicken. I have no poultry so this was not a problem, he is particularly tolerant of my cats and the other dogs and generally a really nice loveable young guy who is shaping up to a very nice dog.

I was given his papers and eventually tracked down his breeder, a very helpful lady who was a little distressed to hear hehad been rehomed without her knowledge. However ... Dougal is at least an inch or so over the breed standard, well proportioned for it though. I discussed his lines with his breeder and it would seem he is a rarity in his line. All his ancestors ( some very well known dogs amongst them) are all well within standard. Poor Dougal the freak !!! :rofl:

This got me wondering - would his growing taller than expected have anything to do with his chasing, killing and eating of chickens and geese as a very young dog? I thought of feral cats and how they grow much larger than your regular housecat, and wondered if the adrenaline, which would have to be pumping in a chicken that is being chased to death, may play a part in the extra growth he has attained.

Any ideas?

I thought so to Poodlefan , but after talking to his breeder I was just curious! She was fairly adamant that the dogs in his lines were all within standard, she actually seemed a little offended at first. Almost like I was insulting her breeding prowess. We eventually came to understand each other. I just wondered though.

I agree with PF - I doubt it was the chicken.

Feral cats etc get larger than pet cats by natural selection, not diet. So over a number of generations, those feral cats best adapted to survival in the wild are the ones who pass on their genes, those cats less suited to life in the wild die out. From what I've seen, the optimal size for a feral cat in the Oz bush is, as you say, bigger (taller and longer but not fatter) that a typical pet. They also sport some serious teeth, again naturally selected for.

post-11099-1194407163_thumb.jpg

A good question and nw having measured him alone ( without other dogs to distract and make him want to run and play) he stand at just above 28 cm (only 2 mm over). This sems strange because when I measured him when he came home I am sure he was bigger - that may also have been a none to accurate measurement, as he did tend to spend that first week or so puffed up and strutting, trying to look impressive!

The standard states maximum height of 28cm so I suppose he is not that far outside, to be fair to him. But he does look huge compared to all the others. I included a photo of him with Scarlett in the pool as an example and could perhaps get something better when the kids come home, because it isnot a good angle.

It is all academic though I suppose he's a darling guy, a total character, a real westie in fact!!

• 3 weeks later...

If the chickens came from a poultry farm where they pump them full of antibiotics and growth hormone I expect that could make a difference. If they are just your average backyard chook I doubt it. I have seen what commercial farmers give their pigs and it would surely turn any dog, human or anything else for that matter into the Incredible Hulk LOL!