Howling

i disagree that simply bring the dog inside is the only way to solve the problem, rather the problem could be solved while at the same the dog can remain an outside animal.

I dont recall anyone saying that brining the dog inside will solve the problem. I do belive this could help in solving the problem.

I also belive that given two short sentences all "advice" we write here is based on speculations and assumptions.

i disagree that simply bring the dog inside is the only way to solve the problem, rather the problem could be solved while at the same the dog can remain an outside animal.

I dont recall anyone saying that brining the dog inside will solve the problem. I do belive this could help in solving the problem.

I also belive that given two short sentences all "advice" we write here is based on speculations and assumptions.

I didn't say that anyone DID say that, but it has been written by one poster that the dog should not be sleeping outside...

Here's a tip........tell your friend to not be so mean in leaving the poor dog outside alone and to bring the dog inside with them at night.

While i do agree that this could help with the problem, i do not agree that it is the only way to solve the problem, and i believe that if the owners really dont want their dog to be an inside animal (which many people don't) then there are other ways to solve this problem rather than just bring it inside.

Just because a dog comes inside to sleep it doesn't mean he will be getting enough attention/pack time...

it is the quality of the time you spend with your dog more so than the quantity.

I disagree with the above statement.

30-60 minutes of full on work and than 23 hours alone (in solitary confindenent) versus 10 hours alone when owners are at work and the rest with the human pack. I know what Id preffer... and what is giving more pack time.

Note - this is not to say that eveyone that has the dogs inside gives them proper attention.

Took the words out of my mouth.

My dogs could not care less what we're doing, but prefer to be with us.

THey both sleep outside, however. Older dog is 6 1/2 and has slept outside alone for most of that time (before dog no.2). No carry-on.

It's not unreasonable to suggest addressing all the basics- adequate exercise, time spent with dog, training etc.

Triangle of Temptation (see pinned to top of this subforum) helped get my young dog out of barking/ carry-on on tie out.

MAke sure she isn't rewarding the howling with attention. Can she try a walk at night and then a raw bone/ stuffed kong for dog to take outside at bedtime?

Just because a dog comes inside to sleep it doesn't mean he will be getting enough attention/pack time...

it is the quality of the time you spend with your dog more so than the quantity.

I disagree with the above statement.

30-60 minutes of full on work and than 23 hours alone (in solitary confindenent) versus 10 hours alone when owners are at work and the rest with the human pack. I know what Id preffer... and what is giving more pack time.

Note - this is not to say that eveyone that has the dogs inside gives them proper attention.

Took the words out of my mouth.

My dogs could not care less what we're doing, but prefer to be with us.

THey both sleep outside, however. Older dog is 6 1/2 and has slept outside alone for most of that time (before dog no.2). No carry-on.

It's not unreasonable to suggest addressing all the basics- adequate exercise, time spent with dog, training etc.

Triangle of Temptation (see pinned to top of this subforum) helped get my young dog out of barking/ carry-on on tie out.

MAke sure she isn't rewarding the howling with attention. Can she try a walk at night and then a raw bone/ stuffed kong for dog to take outside at bedtime?

Let me put what i said back into context and apply it to a dog who is to sleep outside....lets say you have 2 hours a day to spend with your dog....even if it is one hour in the morning and one at night....

If you are spending 2 hours a day just "being" with your outside dog ie him simply following you around/watching you and getting the occasional petting, this will not satisfy most dogs pack drives.

However if you spend that 2 hours a day doing quality activities like running with your dog/playing games/training etc, this is more likely to satisfy your dog's pack drives.

So in context, it is not the quantity, but MORE SO the quality (2 hours doing nothing vs 2 hours of quality bonding activities) of time you spend with your dog.

Where I agree with your last explanation Rachelle I also would like to say that if someone has two hours a day to give to their dog shouldnt have a dog all together.

I agree, but sadly for many dogs that is a fact of life.

Where I agree with your last explanation Rachelle I also would like to say that if someone has two hours a day to give to their dog shouldnt have a dog all together.

I agree, but sadly for many dogs that is a fact of life.

Thats why its better for those to be sleeping inside :rofl:

myszkas solution and reasons for howling are correct. It is simple, dog is lonely it is howling for a reply, looking for company. Bringing the dog inside will fix the problem. Why can't the dog be inside?