Barking Put

Nova'sMum

Hi,

My 5mo cavie pup has started barking at everything. He looks at something, backs up and then barks. I go over and look at whatever he's barking at if I can work it out, go right up to it make sure there's no threat, go back to him and then tell him to be quiet. I don't mind if he's letting me know there's something out there (even if it's nothing), but I would like him to stop when I've assessed there's no threat. What is the best way to deal with this?

I think 5 mo is a fear period which explains what's up with your pup.

I'm not sure what the balance is between reeassurance and not rewarding the fear response at this stage...perhaps some experts will come and advise :rofl:

Suspected as much. I'm trying very hard not to reward fear response but honestly how long can you let it bark at the big black murderous tree stump for?

1. Make sure that you have the dog's respect in your leadership.
  2. Avoid going over to what she is barking at and making a big deal by "inspecting it". This is quite possibily reinforcing in her mind that there IS something there to have cause for concern. After all, the LEADER went over and had a good look too. :thumbsup:
  3. Avoid giving inadvertant attention for her behaviour.
  4. I'd be inclined to use these 'times' to train for a recall response to replace her current 'fear' response.
  5. You can go over later in her absence .... just to make sure the behaviour was 'nothing'.
  6. Give her attention for non-reactive behaviour especially in the proximity of the objects towards which she is presently reacting.

Edited by Erny

Have tried to divert attention from whatever it is. Nova will come over to me and maybe even play, but then goes back to whatever he was barking at, particularly the stump at least on that occasion. I think he's now made friends with the stump. He's not madly barking at it anymore.

Will try Erny's advice and ignore whatever he's barking at, but how long do you let them bark for, particularly when diversion doesn't seem to work? He tends to fixate on things for a time.

Have tried to divert attention from whatever it is. Nova will come over to me and maybe even play, but then goes back to whatever he was barking at ... ... ... particularly when diversion doesn't seem to work?

Remember that you ARE training ..... try using a long-line (please .... not a retractable lead) to guide him into his recalls if necessary. Make sure the recall she gives you is "worth it" (ie make it fun/great!). Practice these recalls NOT ONLY when he barks at the stump (or whatever else) ..... RANDOMISE - otherwise he might learn that barking at the stump gets you to come out to "play".

If it is an occasion where you don't have the long-line on (yet), try a 'startle' effect. Depending on your dog (ie whether it's too much or too little) something like a couple of saucepan lids or some such is good diversion therapy. When he stops due to the 'startle', throw in a recall. Clip the lead on and practice a few more .... generally working in the back yard but ignoring the stump (or whatever other distraction your boy is 'hooked' on). :(