Hysterical When Ear Plucking ?

Christina

The problem is a poodle puppy,just 4 months. I have plucked her ears,which are quite hairy, about 4 times now. She goes hysterical jumping around & carrying on so much I have to sit on the floor with her & the only way I can do it is to wedge her head against my chest & pluck the opposite ear. Used to grooming I know that some kick up at first & then give in but this is the worst,you would think I was killing her & she has to learn to accept this. I can hardly hold her & its a half hour job as I cant even get to her ear. I am firm but she wont give in. Dont want to stress her too much & make this a nightmare for her,but it is. Patience of a saint but I honestly felt myself getting angry last time with the frustration,which is no help & useless,so stopped. Another person helping was worse,better alone. Reluctantly considering a sedative but how will she learn if sedated. Will not take her to salon. Any suggestions, apart from sheer bloody persistance much appreciated,especially ways of restraint that wont hurt her.

How are you plucking the ears, with your fingers, haemostats ??

Also, are you just plucking from the ear canal, and not the hair around the outside of the ear ?

You will find she does not like it most likely cos it hurt her at some stage and now she wont have a bar of it.

You will need to get her used to having her ears touched again. Just start slowly patting and touching her ears when shes lying down etc. Keep desensitizing until she is calm then try gently plucking again.

Is there a partucular reason you wont take her to a salon ? Are you going to do all of her grooming yourself ?

Only asking cos dogs act differently when around other people and out of their home environment. I get some dogs who are an abolute nightmare for their owners, but are perfectly behaved for me.

Just read your post again, this is your dog isn't it ?? :rofl:

Edited by BC

You may have pinched the inside of her ear at some stage, and now she has a phobia about it. By pinning her down & making a big issue out of it, is making things worse for her as you are reinforcing to her that she should be worried, if you know what I mean.

I would be fiddling with her ears all the time, rub them & scratch them , stick your finger inside & rub them, anything that she likes, most dogs like their ears being rubbed. Praise her and give her a treat, make a big deal of it when she allows you to play with her ears. Eventually you might pluck a few hairs & then treat her & praise her & set her free, so that you ended on your terms & not hers. If you try to do it all at one time it will become an ordeal & she will win!

Yes it is my dog. I only pluck with fingers,the hair inside the ear,small mount at a time. Use fingers,ear canal is much too small & dangerous with wriggly dog to use haemostats. She is fine having ears just handled. Past experience in salon work & dont approve discipline methods I usually have no trouble training dogs or pups for all grooming,apart from initial resistance with some which is normal. At vet check ears were fine. It does hurt a little at first like having eyebrows plucked but they do get used to it & it shouldn't be an ordeal if done regularly. Never had one carry on this much. Stumped.

Yes it is my dog. I only pluck with fingers,the hair inside the ear,small mount at a time. Use fingers,ear canal is much too small & dangerous with wriggly dog to use haemostats. She is fine having ears just handled. Past experience in salon work & dont approve discipline methods I usually have no trouble training dogs or pups for all grooming,apart from initial resistance with some which is normal. At vet check ears were fine. It does hurt a little at first like having eyebrows plucked but they do get used to it & it shouldn't be an ordeal if done regularly. Never had one carry on this much. Stumped.

Hmmm, I'm stumped too. I've never had a dog with ear issues, only if there is an infection which is not the case with you.

I'll be interested to hear anyones responses. Try when Cavandra said and do little bits each day.

Also, I know what you mean by some salons :rofl: Some are too harsh when there is no need to be.

Are you 100% sure there is no infection in the ear? If it is already tender she would not like the plucking. In 30+ years of owning poodles, I have never made a practice of plucking the ears - was told by the lady from whom I got my first poodle that a certain amount of hair in the ear canal keeps nasties out. The only time I have had an ongoing problem was when a groomer, against my specific request, plucked all the hair out of my dog's ears and irritated them so much that he kept scratching them - leading to years of problems with infection. Not all salons are rough on puppies, maybe if you find a good gentle one your puppy might behave for a stranger.

You tried to pluck them for half an hour? No wonder she's kicking up. Do it over the course of a week. I'd be using hemostats so you have a better grip. If your fingers are slipping on the hair its going to be pulling and hurting without actually getting any hair out.