Success.....

Mrsdog

Training Sunday morning in the class was a Bernese Mountain Dog. Guy told me his wife sent him along because she just couldn't walk him anymore. Even the guy was having trouble holding him back.

Well, tried the old belly button training (you know, where you hold food in your right hand with the hand placed on your navel) and instant success. This wonderful dog was walking along with his head glued to my hip, eyes looking upward, perfect heeling. Could have gone in an OB trial. Perfect sits when you stop, oh it was just soooo wonderful. WHY don't people use food to train their dogs?

This was a big, strong dog who obviously wasn't responding to the old check chain choke, but food rewards worked so well. Dogs owner was grinning from ear to ear. He couldn't wait to get home and show his wife.

Yes, I did stress that we still had a way to go, doesn't happen overnight but does happen, etc.

Such a beautiful dog and so intelligent - wonder if I can steal him? Mmmmm, considering his size that might be a litte difficult.

Noels.

Well Done MrsDog :laugh: .

I love watching the delight on people's faces when they see the potential in their dog, especially the ones considered hard to manage. You may just have changed their life (sounds like you have certainly changed the dog's future) and that is a very rewarding thing to be able to do.

Keep us updated!

:laugh: Noels - it's great, isn't it. I've had the same experience with an adolescent black shepherd. The girl was able to get and hold his attention really well.

Hmmm - so you're changing breeds now :D - may not be such an easy dancing partner. How do you reckon leg weaving would go. :D

ETA - Vickie - looooove the sig.

Edited by Tassie

But Tassie, how good for the horse riding bit - you know, the one that Mary really likes!!!!!

There is another Dancing with Dogs day at Erskine Park on 9th December. Loretta of course has coerced me into going - don't see why you can't be there too, just a hop, skip and a jump (maybe a swim too).

This weekend is games agility on Saturday evening and Flyball on Sunday and forecast is still for rain. My doggy is not so attractive when wet, come to think of it - neither am I.

Thanks Vicki for your kind words. I expected to cop some flak about the "belly button training" but I find people really relate to silly titles for their training and it helps them to remember. Most people just switch off if there is too much technicality to training. Of course I say this because I am mostly training pet dogs and only a few of them go on to the OB ring. Oh, I do so love them all.

Noels.

Zoya does heel with that method very well but that when she is alone without any distractions. but soon on the street or when she sees other dogs/ humans, she will get excited and cannot focus.

She is such a great dog with wonderful personality but she adores people and other dogs. everytime i walk her she will rush and jumping onto other people or sniffing other dogs. She thinks every human loves her. I need some advice regarding pulling on leash and jumping on people. I am start getting worried cause she is 22 kg and I am just 40 kg. She will soon over-powering me. She is 5 months old.

help please...

cheers xoxo