Puppy Growling

lovelight

We have a ten week old Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy who sometimes growls when we try to or pick him up - usually this happens when I go to bring him inside and he wont go voluntarily or if I need to pick him up for another reason. any ideas about how I should react? I have tried saying NO but that does not seem to work every time. anyone have similar experiences? he is currently at puppy school - the lady wasn't able to offer much help on what I should do!

If it were me I would growl back and say a very firm "no!" or "ahh!" then put him outside or in his naughty room.

Also he may be reacting this way as it may physically hurts him when you pick him up, I would be getting a once over to make sure there are no problems at your next vet check up (which would be soon I'd say).

Edited by he'smyhero

If it were me I would growl back and say a very firm "no!" or "ahh!" then put him outside or in his naughty room.

Also he may be reacting this way as it may physically hurts him when you pick him up, I would be getting a once over to make sure there are no problems at your next vet check up (which would be soon I'd say).

Thanks for your reply he's my hero. Pup is due to have his vet check on the 20th of this month - I also thought that maybe I am hurting him or not picking him up properly...he doesn't do it every time though which confuses me.

By the way your dog is very cute!

I personally don't think you should try to stop the growling by aiming it at the growl. If you stifle a dog growling, the dog can bypass this type of communication and escalate the way he expresses his displeasure. By this I mean - a growl is the lowest form of aggressive communication - if you "no" the growl and he still wants to tell you the same thing - he may progressive to something worse. Not because he's aggressive, but because you aren't listening.

This doesn't mean the growling is a great idea! If it IS a result of dominance (and we'd have to see the pup to know etc etc) then you can address this issue in other ways, and the growling will take care of itself.

You could start with the NILIF program (sure there are links on here), as well as rewarding him when you touch him or move him in some way and he's quiet.

I also agree that a trip to the vet may be a good idea in case he IS in pain somewhere.

Sounds like he's being bossy?

Never hurts to let your pup know who's the leader- YOU!

NILIF and Triangle of Temptation (check out the training subforum).

Growling's not the problem- it's the fact that he thinks it's OK mode of communication to say, "Nah, don't want to" that's the problem!

Need to change the way he thinks ---> Training and leadership.

Puppies are gorgeous, but need you to take over the mothering role- teaching good behaviour with training. No need for being harsh or mean. Training with puppies should be fun for pup. Pup will be so much happier because a trained dog is nice to be with, so you do more with them.