Gsd Unnerved By New Foster

moirat

I have a new foster dog , a foxy x, who arrived on Monday. Blitz my GSD pup (10 months) is not all that keen on other dogs coming into her space but ordinarily tolerates them and, in Dougal's case became great friends. BOY does she object to this foster and vice versa. She handled him arriving pretty well until the old Dobe (10 and shamefully antisocial) spotted him and was after him.

Bonza (foster) growls when anyone pats Blitz which makes her bark and lunge at him which makes him bark and lunge at her and they end up standing nose to nose almost shouting at each other and the minute one breaks the other is off after them. I know it has oly been a couple of days but I am really more concerned about what this is doing to my dog. She is great at obedience classes and well behaved at the beach off lead and on but now I am worried her current situation may affect her sociability.

Is there cause to worry? Is it likely she may start carrying on when she sees any foxy style dog? How can I help her deal with this 'intruder' and help him out at the same time?

Yes - IMO you should be concerned.

You MUST be perceived as the leader to BOTH dogs, and what comes with your leadership is your responsibility to protect each dog (as well as, of course, your right to govern, as perceived by the dogs).

Beware - at this age your own dog could also be in, or entering, a second fear impact period. It is important that bad experiences are avoided during that period.

I would be keeping each dog separate for a while. Perhaps where they can orientate but where each does not have to succumb to threatening advances by the other. This will also allow some time for your "leadership" to be perceived - especially by the new foster, who quite possibly has come with some other learnt pre-conceived ideas.

Lots of parallel walks (two walkers needed for this) off property until you identify they are beginning to relax around each other.

Edited by Erny