Mouth Ulcers

peaceful

Have you done a blood test & urinalysis?

I would want to be knowing why she has mouth ulcers, what has caused them?

Apparantly they can be a symptom of diabetes or kidney disease..........I have seen mouth ulcers in old dogs with very bad teeth and the gums start to "go", they get ulcers on teh gums above the rotting tooth.

You can use Colloidal silver it is a natural antibiotic, but you would need to dab & hold a swab to the ulcer for about 5 minutes to suffocate the "bug", you can also put some in the water dishes.

It is an awfully long time to have such a complaint, a sign of immune defiency, but I would be wanting to know what exactly has caused it....

I know she will lick it off but try to put the manuka honey directly on the ulcers - good luck.

You should see a result pretty quickly with what you are using. If not, back to the vets to maybe swab the ulcer and see if it some sort of infection.

Cheers

Jodie

I know for humans - take a teaspoon of vegemite and hold it directly on the mouth ulcer for as long as possible (it stings like anything) and then eating the rest will get rid of them overnight. I find I get ulcers if I don't have vegemite every couple of days. So I assume this is because a deficiency in vitamin B.

Not sure if that would be the same for dogs....

My vet hasn't suggested doing any blood tests or urine tests yet.

What type of tests would you suggest doing?

The vet was hoping that it was just an infection that was hanging on.

Since she wa nursing a litter at the time I first noticed the ulcers she didnt start on antibiotics until the pups were almost weaned so the bacteria probably got a good grip on her by then.

Sorry , but mouth ulcers arent that common in the first place, so to have them for more than 4 months is a worry.......Things in the mouth heal very quickly usually, even when no treatment is given (in a healthy person/dog).

It can be a symptom of diabetes & kidney disease, that is why I suggested the tests, hopefully to rule these things out, as there isnt much point treating symptoms if there is an ongoing cause...JMO

Still having issues?

The only other thing that I could suggest is taking her to an holistic vet. With the right tonic, she will be good as new in no time.

I would be insisting on blood work to see if there are any infections or deficiencies in her blood - I think low Vit B is a cause for mouth ulcers. If your usual vet won't do it - go and see another one. It has been going on for a while and to leave a animal with discomfort for that long is not acceptible IMO (the vet, not you - I would stress this to the vet)...

Good luck

Jodie

Is her chicken organic? If not, maybe try organic meat instead of shop bought.

I know my boy does much better on organic meat - expensive I know but he has cancer and the less interference with his food the better... He is on a plethora of medications, both holistic and conventional.

Just a thought - do the ulcers go down her throat at all? If so, maybe it is reflux, the acid coming back up her throat from eating... If so, she can have mylanta until the vet can check for sure.

hi iwas interested to read about you dog getting recurring mouth ulcers i have a 3year old border collie with a simialar problem about every 6 months she becomes very ill and the first sign is bad breath and them mouth ulcers which go on her tongue and down her throat now all the vets i have taken her to dont no whats wrong with her it is very upseting as when the ulcers burst she had slime oozing out of mouth i have looked everywhere to find answers so ints intersteing to see somone else having simialar problems do you no what it is and any treatment the vets do think it could be something to do with her immune system or a lack of vitamins as she doesnt like eating dog food and would rather starve that eat somthing she does not like a very worried dog owner joX

yeah it is hard when it goes on for along time i get so upset seeing her suffer she somtimes cannot wlak and yelps in pain when these episodes happen the vets were giving her antibiotis and paainkillers but to be honest this didnt really help much but this time the vet gave her steriods and i have to say it worked better although she was still ill for about a week the blisters did not ooze and her appertite came back aliitle and she had no blister on her bum this time either well not that we saw it will be interseting what they think your dog has good luckXX