Contact Allergy

Bella has been staying at another house for three days while I went away and has come home covered in a red slightly raised and warm rash on her belly, under her arms and in her ear. I assume it's contact dermatitis. I am taking her to the vet shortly but am interested in what people use to treat this in their dogs. Also, she had new bedding - velour type - is this likely to be the cause. Bella regularly gets weepy eyes whenever I do so I know she is prone to allergies.

Thanks in advance.

BellasPerson

Edited by BellasPerson

A Malaseb bath and some antihistamines would help to get her settled. If the rash is really bothering her then apply some cortizone cream until it clears.

I wouldnt think bedding would cause a reaction - its normally environmental so most probably grass or weed pollens that she has come into contact with.

Thanks Peigirl

She has now been bathed from head to foot to remove any remaining pollen and given a shot by the vet. Her ears were very red and sore looking.

Noticed Bruno has it too so now they've both been treated. He had grey dust on his spots which the vet says might be what caused it. Will get on to the doggy sitter and try to discover what the allergen was so I can make sure they don't get it again.

Mine has had the dex injection combined with another (name of which escapes me right now :rolleyes:) following a series of altercations with wasps, silly pup he was. When they are really bad the dex is good for immediate relief. If they are slowly getting bad then antihistamines should do the trick - these don't contain steriods so dont be afraid to use them.

Normal human antihistamines metabolise differently in dogs than they do in people - dogs often need a larger dose than people. Mine has atopic dematitis and gets two claratyne a day to manage it. Also some antihistamines work for some dogs but then not for others. If you get no response from one antihistamine after a fortnight, try another with a different active ingredient.

Only side effects to speak from antihistamines is that they apparently make some dogs a bit drowsy. Certainly not the case in my household :D

I'm not sure there really is any natural preventative.

Dexamethasone is a great drug for giving immediate relief, but shouldn't be given long term if at all avoidable.

I'd give the antihistamines a try- ask you vet about dosages etc. but may be cheaper to buy the human type from the pharmacy.

When buying, look for the "active ingredient" as some are much cheaper than others e.g. Claratyne and Lorastyne have the same active ingredient (Loratidine 10mg) but Lorastyne is much cheaper ($22 for 50 tabs vs. $36 for 50 tabs). I live in a regional area with expensive chemists so buy online e.g. http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/PD_Produc...8827&PLID=2.

If you use a cream in those areas, she's likely to lick it off.

Good luck.

I'm glad I got the dexamethasone now as Bruno's rash started after Bellas and is spreading fast. Now his whole face is covered as well. He must have stuck his nose in the plant :) . Naughty Puppy. :rofl:

Bella's is turning around and getting better.

I shouldn't need to use the Dex long term as the offending plant is a long way away :rofl:

You're right about licking off creams, poodlewrangler. The vet gave me some antibiotic cream in case one of them scratched enough to get an infection. So far I can stop them from scratching by distracting them.

I will also ring up and ask the vet about claratyne doses. I take Zyrtec for my allergies so then we can all be on antihistamines together :D . Zyrtec is supposed to make me drowsy but not much chance of that. This is just for in case of next time though. Will see how they improve on the Dex this time.

Thanks for all the advice.

BellasPerson and Itchy-Spotty Bella and Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

Bruno has recovered from his allergy but Bella has started losing hair on her ears this morning. I rang the vet and he said it was part of the allergy process and not the steroids. I am now putting hydrocortisone/antibiotic cream on it that they gave me for backup.

Thought I would post this in case anyone else with allergies this week - lots of people - know what this symptom is from.

I hate allergies :thumbsup:

My puppy apparently has an atopic dermatitis and has now been on antihistamines for 2 weeks. Is it possible that he may need to stay on them permanently? The vet said to stop giving them if the itching stops, we're not at that point yet although he does seem somewhat better. I understand we may need to try a different antihistamine but my main question is that it's okay if he has to stay on them permanently? I understand anti's are a very "safe" drug so imagine there wouldn't be much of a problem with this?...

I'm not sure about long term use of antihistamines in dogs. It is certainly not a problem with humans as was on them myself for years. Steroids are definately not good for long term use because they have side effects and become less effective.

I have realised Bellas ears are becoming bald as she is scratching them. I am now using hydrocortisone/lignocain/antibiotic combo cream on and in her ears which is keeping most of the itching at bay.

Anyone have an answer on the long term use of antihistamines in dogs?

BP