Skin Allergy

marcos

I just want to start by thanking everyone that has offered advice.

I also believe it's a contact allergy, because it started happening as soon as he arrived at my house.

I have been communicating with the breeder and she advised that none of the other puppies had had an problems.

I think she keep a couple of the puppies from the same litter.

I agree with not giving them cortisone and I really want to find the source of this allergy or at least treat it with natural products.

I have only been washing him about every 4 weeks and using the Oatmeal shampoo the vet gave me.

I have also treated with Iramine when it got bad.

Garloch, are the Fish Oil Tablets, specifially for Dogs or just the ones for humans?

Peigirl, I live about 20 minutes south of Wollongong.

Well this is my plan.

I am going to start with the EPO Shampoo and see how he goes.

Should I continue to give the Flaxseed Powder? I was also giving him Biolac Plus with his food on the advice of the breeder.

Should I stop using either or change the Flaxseed to the Fish Oil?

Everyday when I wake up, the first thing I do is check his belly to see if it has improved.

I can't wait until the day that I get up and he is not scratching.

Thanks once again and really appreciate all the advice.

marcos

Hi Marcos,

Sounds like a good plan of action - let us know how it goes!

The fish oil tabs are the same ones as we humans have. Healthfood shops. As they are Omega 3/6/9 oil tabs, and the flaxseed powder is (I think - please correct me someone if I am wrong) also a type of Omego oil, I wouldn't nexeccarily to both. Too much oil can make their eliminations slooopy. Try one for a couple of weeks, then the other, see which one helps best and stay on them. If you can, take digital pics to compare the results - I can never remember how bad it was last week!

EPO shampoo - 4 weekly shouldn't be a problem, although are you washing because they are dirty, or because someone told you to wash monthly? I know with my boy years ago - he smelled dreadful after 2 weeks because of the extra sebum production associated with the allergy. If the EPO shampoo works and quiets the allergy somewhat, definately use it, but not too frequently. More than once every 10 days is too much.

Have a look on internet search sites and type in "dog+plants+allergies". I got on an american site that was really helpful (sorry have lost the link though) in naming plants that caused allergies in dogs. One of the worst is everywhere around here and is rampant - wandereing dew. Has a few different names, in different states, but I think thats what its called in NSW too. Plants with purple on them seem to be triggers with my dogs. No - that is not logical, but both plants that used to in my yard that had purple flowers were the culprits. Also, buffalo grass is the culprit with my current dog.

Garloch

You do not understand the principals behind EPO shampoo.

The program requires washing with it every 4 days for maximum results. It is for itchy red skin, dogs with psoraiss and a host of other issues.

It works when the program is followed for most dogs.

We're in the same boat and have been since summer started.

We're on our 2nd round of cortisone tablets as we can't get it under control.

Tape test & skin scrapings showed nothing interesting.

We have decided against Intradermal testing and treatment due to the lack of success it gives...around 20% for thousands of dollars.

We're currently going into week 3 of a Blood Cleanser, this is being used on the principal that the chemicals we put on our dogs....flea treatments, wormers, vaccinations, chemicals in food can weaken the immune system. We have seen some improvment but not enough to rave about it yet.

The Head & Shoulders shampoo doesn't do too badly actually, no miracle cure but does assist short-term in our experience.

We have also tried White Vingegar rinses which assisted with some short term itchyness.

Tried Collidal Silver, it's ok but nothing too interesting.

We are yet to go down the Apple Cider Vinegar route, by why not, nonthing to loose.

We have changed food, can't go on completely natural yet as we're still in a growth period but the change of food to a sensitive skin kibble has also assisted a wee bit.

We have tried around 20 lotions and potions, some with wee bit of success and some with none at all.

Medicated shampoos from the Vet without success.

Herbal Yeast treatment just incase it was a yeast issue.....soothed a little but nothing major.

After the Blood Cleanser we're going to try the Evening Primose Oil.

He was on Fish Oil but brought him off it due to the fact it can create skin issues when given with premium kibble.

Right now he's on:

Antibotiocs due to a secondary skin infection, Cortisone every 2 days, Milk Thistle just incase it's thyroid based - it's also good for the skin (2 months on, 2 month off), Zinc & 2 x Vit C for the immune system + 1 inner health tablet per day.....he rattles! Oh and 60 drops a day of his Blood Cleanser.

Edited by sas

Hey Sas,

I hope your dog gets better.

I know how frustrating it can be!

You really feel for them.

I will let you know how the EPO goes once I receive it.

I have noticed some improvement in mine by just adding the Flaxseed Powder.

marcos

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just an update on my puppy and his skin problems.

I tried the EPO and still no good so I decided to go and visit another vet.

The vet I took my puppy to had a special interest in skin allergy.

They looked and him and did some test and found he had a yeast infection.

I have had him on medication for about a week and the improvement has been incredible.

Fingers crossed that this solves the problem.

cheers

• 1 month later...

my amstaff has the same problem and it is w waste of money to get allergy tested because it usually comes back inconclusive, the way i worked it out was trial and error, searched back yard, watched what he got into during walks, ond now have found out wondering dew plant was doing it to him, he used to break out with big black scabs kind of like infested wit fleas, so now if he makes contact wit the plant all i have to do is bath him wit mediceted shampoo.

Search your yard for plants such as wandering dew, olive oil plant and some grasses that are known allergens for dogs.

Can I suggest that you might also watch to see if it has anything to do with how often your dog comes inside. I have a friend whose dog is allergice to thier wool carpet.

EPO capsules are fantastic, dont bother to open them, just given them the capsule.

I can vouch fo tthe EPO shampoo from Groomers its great

• 3 months later...

Marcos,

I also have a beagle the exact same age with VERY BAD allergies. I am interested to know what state you are in to see if it is from the same breeder.

My breeder is also saying there are no more that have the problem in the litter but I know that allergies of this kind can be passed on through parents and others may also have this problem. We have been seeing a dermatoligist for our bagle and have her on Atopica and injections to try and get her over it. I know it is not a nice thing to see a new puppy with such awful scratching. Unfortunately I had to have our beautiful girl steralised so she can not breed because we just could not let this happen to any other puppies.

i would suggest taking your pup for an allergy test to determine exactly what the cause is. it is expensive but it will be worth it and you won't wasting hepas of $$ on stuff that doesn't work. I would also suggest taking your pup to a doggy naturopath. Food allergies are very common nowadays in dogs as well as contact allergies. It is possible your pup has a contact allergy that is being aggrevated by a mild food allergy.

good luck :thumbsup:

Hi,

Just an update on my puppy and his skin problems.

I tried the EPO and still no good so I decided to go and visit another vet.

The vet I took my puppy to had a special interest in skin allergy.

They looked and him and did some test and found he had a yeast infection.

I have had him on medication for about a week and the improvement has been incredible.

Fingers crossed that this solves the problem.

cheers

Was going to suggest yeast infection. Change his diet to an all natural one without any grains in it.