Why Flyball?

I am contemplating getting into flyball and I would like to hear why so many people love it :)

Is it because dogs really like it?

What if my dog is not a ball freak? Should I still consider flyball?

What breed/type is your dog Laffi - I can't remember. :D

I prefer agility - each to their own. :laugh:

I have 2yo australian shepherd and 1yo golden retriever. They both started agility last year and we are definitely going to continue that :)

I am contemplating getting into flyball and I would like to hear why so many people love it :)

Hi Laffi,

I do flyball because both my dogs LOVE it and because it is heaps of fun without too much work on technicalities like in agility and obedience. (We do those too, but flyball is a bit of a release.) To give you an idea my girl will stand in the rain at the gate to the field whining waiting to be let in. Usually she won't even go outside to pee if she can see clouds (slight exaggeration, but she certainly won't go out in the rain).

I originally got into it because i mistakenly thought having a ball obsessed dog was a good thing for a flyballer. (Xena will stand and stare at a tennis ball for 15 minutes hoping it will move!) Turns out the key to it is not ball obsession, but drive to get BACK to you, so if you dog is not ball obsessed, but will tug it is a big bonus. Think of it this way. If your dog is ball obsessed and they get the ball then they have their reward, but if you have something that is a higher value than the ball then they will be quick back to you. Fortunately for me I've built into both dogs that the ball is only good if I am connected to it so they are more than keen to get back to me - others have not been so fortunate and have had to do a lot of work on this one.

The only down side I see to flyball is that it does REALLY hype most dogs up and if you don't have a good 'off switch' for your dog it can be a bit of a PITA. Other than that it is a fantastic sport - people aren't over the top serious and the focus is on having safe fun with your dog. Oh yeah, the exercise doensn't hurt either the dog or the handlers either!

Where abouts are you in Brisbane?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony! I think I remember you from BARK :) Where do you train?

I just contacted Brian from Awesome Pawsome and am seriously thinking about starting in Feb.

I would like to add another fun activity for my dogs apart from agility and flyball sounds like a lot of fun.

My dogs do a whole range of sports but Charlie absolutely loves flyball and Im sure Delta will too when she starts. I think its because he doesn't have to think too much, just run, jump, and carry a ball. The atmosphere is unbelievable aswell. Dogs just go nuts- barking and lunging and getting really really excited which makes them all even more excited!

As for the handlers, well it is much easier than any other sports. No commands to worry about, you dont have to worry about getting lost on a course, you just stand there and the dog does all the work for you!

I just contacted Brian from Awesome Pawsome and am seriously thinking about starting in Feb.

I would like to add another fun activity for my dogs apart from agility and flyball sounds like a lot of fun.

Hey there,

You probably do remember us if your memory is really good. We ended up only doing 2 events early in 2007 because CK cracked his elbow and we decided if both couldn't do it we wouldn't go. This year will be different though - little buggers both LOVE frisbee as well.

I train over at the flyball fanatics (RSPCA). It's just a little more relaxed than Awesome Pawsome who are brilliant with their training and really competitive, but their training time doesn't really suit my job. It's meant to be fun, but is pretty full on at the moment because the team wants to go well in Canberra (nationals) so we are training 2 nights a week rain, hail or shine - just as well most of the clubs are not training or I'd be going mad!

Look forward to seeing you at frisbee this year!

Cheers.

Tony

Hey there,

You probably do remember us if your memory is really good. We ended up only doing 2 events early in 2007 because CK cracked his elbow and we decided if both couldn't do it we wouldn't go. This year will be different though - little buggers both LOVE frisbee as well.

I train over at the flyball fanatics (RSPCA). It's just a little more relaxed than Awesome Pawsome who are brilliant with their training and really competitive, but their training time doesn't really suit my job. It's meant to be fun, but is pretty full on at the moment because the team wants to go well in Canberra (nationals) so we are training 2 nights a week rain, hail or shine - just as well most of the clubs are not training or I'd be going mad!

Look forward to seeing you at frisbee this year!

Cheers.

Tony

Thanks heaps Tony. I might consider Flyball Fanatics, since it's about the same distance as the Awesome Pawsome and I think Thursdays night could suit us better :D

One of mine (Nova) goes nuts for flyball, he really enjoys it and i love running him. He has been racing for over a year now and its only in the last six months that he has become competitive himself.

My other boy (Darcy) has only been in three comps and is still warming too the idea of it all. He just enjoys having a day out with mum :laugh:

Darcy wasnt really a ball freak, would run after them and then stop, wouldnt bring it back. Now he is a ball freak and generally runs faster down then back but using the right toy i can get him back heaps faster.

Just remember its all about having fun, and even if your dog isnt the fastest out there who cares, i would rather a slow steady reliable dog then an unreliable fast one :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I do Flyball because my dog seems to love it (and so do I). She also does Conformation shows and Obedience but Flyball is a time where she run, get excited and play around with Mum.

It's also a great outlet for her to run around and get fit.

• 2 weeks later...

we do flyball with mac, we picked it over agility for her because her attention span is quite short and my sisters patience isn't great either (Mac is her dog) Mac does well because you just let her go and she knows what she has to do... got get that ball and get back as fast as you possibly can. Even saying "jump" over the jumps on the way back throws her out and she drops the ball and forgets whats she's doing.

We've only had a few practices with an actual team and no competitions yet but she's doing so well she's amazed us. Will get some video in the next couple of weeks and show her off.

i enjoy flyball as it is more "fun" than obedience a chance to go flat out and get excited, we enjoy obedience but he vibrates for flyball just watching it he is "idling" lol peopl e keep asking is he cold as it looks like shivering but its excitment :happydance2:

that said he lives for herding (which i have not been able to do for 18 months due to baby) and he will actually bark with excitement for agility.. lol im not up to keeping up with him tho :happydance2: but need to get back into that :happydance2:

• 2 weeks later...

I do flyball for lots of reasons - mostly cause "I" enjoy it! I enjoy it so much for the friendship of my teammates, the fun I have with my dog, meeting new people and being involved in something for myself - it's something only I do separate from my children (being a SAHM of 2, I need that!). I've really enjoyed being a member of Awesome Pawsome since joining them in June last year when we moved to Brisbane. I'm off to Canberra to boxload for the team this weekend at the Nationals - going to be a fun weekend!

Would love to see you join us at AP, Laffi - we'll be back at training again next Friday night, once we're all back and recovered (?) from the Nationals this weekend.

Jo