German Shephard Hips.

Any breed that can weigh as much as a person does (I have seen some that weigh more than me) is a large dog :thumbsup: When looking at food, flea, heartworm and worming medications, GSDs fall in the large dog category with their weight.

Kelpies are medium sized, my GSD who is very small for a GSD is 10kg heavier than my biggest Kelpie.

Rob Zammit certainly knows his stuff when it comes to GSDs and hips as does Karen Hedberg.

However, changes to the femoral head and the ability for the joint to fit tighly into the socket would be a concern at this stage - not a panic but a concern.

Over-exercising GSD puppies seems to be prevalent. Fran Farley - [breeder, Judge, Breed Surveyor of many years standing] - has written a superb article on Exercising Baby Puppies that should be mandatory reading for all GSD puppy owners. It can be downloaded from the GSDCV website.

We do forget that because GSD puppies grow quickly and are big that they are still puppies and have limitations as to what they can do comfortably. By the time they are 9 months old they are almost their maximum height.

Hi All,

Dr Zammit gave Jasmine's hips the all clear - in fact he said if you were asking for advise on breeding her I would give it the green light. So all cool. Her knee is still a bit dodgy but we will have to wait for the soft tissue to fix itself.

Methinks Jasmine has a new vet!

Thanks again for the advise. :laugh:

A&D.

Hi All,

Dr Zammit gave Jasmine's hips the all clear - in fact he said if you were asking for advise on breeding her I would give it the green light. So all cool. Her knee is still a bit dodgy but we will have to wait for the soft tissue to fix itself.

Methinks Jasmine has a new vet!

Thanks again for the advise. :p

A&D.

That's great news :laugh: you are going to a great vet there too