Motherless Puppy

vanessa0305

Hi Everyone, I have agreed to take on a new puppy. Her mother died when she was under 3 weeks old (poisoned by a frog says the vet). She does have siblings and is doing very well. With no mother to teach her what kind of problems do you think I might encounter and is there anything I can do to prepare before she arrives. How long should she stay with her littermates to get the best chance of a normal puppy demeanor?

Vanessa,

The pup should stay with the litter mates until at least 7 weeks of age. The littermates will also teach the pup bite inhibition and other puppy manners during play.

If the breeder has older dogs, and the pup has access to those, they should be able to teach the puppies manners with older dogs. If the breeder does not have older dogs, I would suggest they "adopt" a good easy going older dog for the duration of about 4 weeks to 7-8 weeks.

As for what you can do:

This is what I do for my puppy buyers: I get them to wear and old shirt or something for about a week and give that to me which goes in with the puppies. They will drag it around etc. They will be able to smell you on it. When you collect the puppy from the breeder, they give you this shirt back. I would also drop off some plush toys. I normally buy really cheap ones either from the markets (human baby plush toys) or ones from Crazy Clarks etc.

You put this shirt with the puppy's bedding. I crate train all my puppies, so for me it will go into the crate. As the shirt now has all the smells from the breeder and the littermates on it, it will give the puppy something familiar to what it has known at your place.

Have found this helps settle in new puppies. My puppy buyers have also found this does work. The other thing, would be if it is possible, I would visit your puppy weekly so he and his littermates get used to people as well as your puppy gets used to you.

ETA: If there are any doubts WHAT SO EVER about puppy temperaments, the breeder or the dogs. THEN DO NOT TAKE ON THE PUPPY. I would say this for anyone who is getting a puppy, even from a litter of "normal" circumstances.

Edited by Mystiqview

Thanks Mystiqview,

There is an older dog with the pups and a cat as well. So far the pups are doing very well, they are lovely and playful. I will visit them almost daily as I live up the road. It was an accidental breeding but having met both mum and dad, I am hoping pups temperament is similar to either one or both. I am keeping a close eye on proceedings as Bailey and my cats are most important and adding another family member is a big step.