Has My Dog Expressed His Anal Glands?

belgavin

hello all.

Our 3 yr old JRT has never had his glands expressed by a vet, as far as I know. I have attempted to do it myself after reading up on it but don't seem to have the knack for it as nothing came out and he just looked at me weird. I had been meaning to ask the vet upon other visits but it always slips my mind. I always thought it must just happen naturally when he poos.

Anyway today we were coming back from a holiday and he was restrained in the back seat. Suddenly there was a putrid smell and we thought it was the country area we were driving through, it sort of smelled like fertilizer.

When getting home and getting him out there was a stain/patch on the car seat that didn't look like urine. Upon sniffing it the smell was overpowering, not like just regular poo smell, it was like a poo x 10 but with maybe some fishiness mixed in with it. Sorry this sounds offensive just typing it but I'm trying to describe it as best I can!

Can anyone tell me is this what it usually smells like?

I cannot think of what else it could be. He had the smell around his bum a little until I washed him. If it was some kind of diarrheoa I assume it wouldn't be a clearish liquid like this seems to have been. It also got onto a backpack and didn't leave a stain, just that really bad stench.

I attempted to squeeze his glands while bathing him after all this and couldn't seem to get anything out, I guess that is because whatever was in there has now gone. I am hoping his anus isn't secreting something weird because of any kind of sickness. He went to the toilet later on in the night normally and it all looked normal.

Any thoughts appreciated, ta

Sounds exactly like anal glands! I would describe it as a strong metallic fishy smell, generally just putrid.

Most dogs don't need to have their glands expressed, it just does it naturally when they poo. If they aren't emptying naturally, they become full and uncomfortable and dogs often lick the area, scoot, and you can smell it.

Dogs (and cats) often empty their glands if they get a fright, or sudden fear.

I swear it is one of the worst things I have ever had my nose detect. I have scrubbed the back seat with all kinds of cleaners and it is still kind of lingering. God help me if he ever does it inside on the couch or the bed or something. Thanks for the reply!

belgavin

and he just looked at me weird.
:)

The smell is like nothing you have ever experienced before so it's hard to mistake it for something else.

Recently my JRT Maxi started to stink from under the tail, he's only ever had them done once at the vets a few years ago, and my attempts to help them express were unsuccessful (the vet had shown me).

So I gave him some oily sardines, just to make sure there was no constipation causing it, and the smell went away.

So I think diet might have some role to play here. If you give your dogs fresh meaty bones (which is very good to do) just ensure that the bowel movements remain fairly regular by adding a bit of cooked vegetable and roughage to the usual meals. And of course some nice oily sardines if the dog is straining too much or not going at all.

sound's exactly like anal glands to me. being a groomer i have been sprayed a few times. Get your vet to show you how to express them properly other wise you can do damage to your dogs anal sacks. i have attached a copy on how to express anal glands hope this helps.

post-22304-1200657678_thumb.jpg

When I was vet nursing, one of the other nurses accidently got it sprayed in her mouth :)

My girlfriend is a vet and it sounds like the smell that her poor vet nusre tried to get of her face for days after my mate had to operate on a dog with severly infected anal glands. Yes once the incision was made, the contents squirted onto the poor vet nurses face ;) :) :p

I personally would from there on in be wearing a welder's mask!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

sound's exactly like anal glands to me. being a groomer i have been sprayed a few times. Get your vet to show you how to express them properly other wise you can do damage to your dogs anal sacks. i have attached a copy on how to express anal glands hope this helps.

I do not want to think about this stuff anywhere near my face, let alone in the mouth! That would destroy my year.

Thanks for the diagram roxy. I might just leave it until going to the vet next though, as I said I have tried and nothing seems to happen. I can kind of feel where they and I push in a little and squeeze, but I don't know how hard you have to do it and I don't want to damage anything. Hopefully this episode has meant his are empty for a while or at least until the next vet visit

The smell is like nothing you ever spelled beforeand hopefully never smell again. When I have to express dogs I do them in the bath with a LOT of nice shampoo and hope for the best, but nothing good can come from that end. I’d say you are safe for a while. What are you feeding your dog? A lot of canned products can cause the anal glands to fill up quite quick.

The smell is like nothing you ever spelled beforeand hopefully never smell again. When I have to express dogs I do them in the bath with a LOT of nice shampoo and hope for the best, but nothing good can come from that end. I’d say you are safe for a while. What are you feeding your dog? A lot of canned products can cause the anal glands to fill up quite quick.

He eats Eagle Pack kibble and plenty of raw chicken and beef, canned food maybe 1-2 nights a week but only a bit. I'll try to cut it out completely and see if there is any difference, although after 3 years this is the first time I have noticed it has happened. I suppose it has several times before but he must have done it outside or somewhere else I can't smell it

See how you go with cutting out the canned products. you might be one of those unlucky owners who has a dog with anal gland probs. i have three littles and i have had no problems (i don't feed canned food), every client i speak to that has problems is usually feeding them MY DOG or simalar.