Plasma Transfusion

openarms

The referral hospitals will have plasma but I suspect they will be expensive. Some local clinics (referring to Penrith area)may have frozen prepacked plasma on hand which is probably going to be in the order of at least $400-500 (the last bag I used was in this range). Whole blood may be cheaper if the clinic has an available donor however whether or not this is appropriate would depend on the problem.

Edit to add - that is the cost of the plasma only, not the hospitalisation ,fluids etc.

Edited by Rappie

God love you LMWS thats a lovely offer i will pm you and exlpain the situation.

No worries :cheer: . Ice is as strong as an ox, C5 was September last year, healthy and on no medications. He'd lay quietly too while blood was being taken, so fingers crossed that they can go down that path.

Pup is seriously ill?

I thought in humans it's generally used for clotting factors- so you're less likely to bleed to death.

I'm guessing this sort of treatment is hugely expensive as pup likely to need a lot of vet care?

My beautiful Mini Schnauzer girl had 2 frozen plasma transfusions ($350 per transfusion) to get her blood to clot before being diagnosed with "Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation" (DIC).

Total cost for 27 hrs. at 24 hr Emergency Clinic, Essendon, Victoria, (December 2007) $2,150.

Unfortunately she did not survive :cheer:

God, I miss my "Baby Hazel: so much :D :):cry::cry::)