Can Anyone Recommend Any Links.....

trifecta

An associate of mine has a 6 month old puppy who has regressed in her toilet training. We have chatted about crate training & I have explained the basics, but just wondered if anyone knew of any good links to crate training that I can pass on to this gentleman for reference?

I got this from Alison here on DOL some time ago. Hope it helps :o

What Size Should a Crate Be?

A crate should always be large enough to permit any dog to stretch out flat on his side without being cramped and to sit up without hitting his head on the toop. While the adult size of a purebred puppy is fairly easy to predict, that of a mixed breed must be estimated based on general breed/body type and puppy size at a given age. It is always better to use a crate a little too large than one a little too small.

For a fully grown adult, measure the distance from the tip of his nose to base (not tip) of his tail and use a crate close to, but not less than, this length. The height and width of most crates are properly proportioned to the length, including the convenient “slant-front” models designed to fit station wagons and hatchbacks.

For a puppy, measure as above and add 12 inches for anticipated rapid growth. If a small crate is unavailable for tempporary use, reduce the space of an adult sized crate (width can serve for length if the crate is large) with a reversed carton or a movable partition made of wire, wood, or masonite. Remember that a crate too large for a young puppy defeats its purpose of providing security and promoting bowel control, so its space should always be limited in the beginning, except when being used as an over-all pen.

Where Should I Put It?

Since one of the main reasons for using a crate is to confine a dog without making him feel isolated or banished, it should be placed in a “people” area, kitchen, family room, etc. To provide an even greater sense of den security and privacy, it should be put in a corner and/or have the sides and back loosely draped in a sheet, large towel or light blanket which can easily be adjusted for desired visibility or air.

Admittedly, a crate is not a “thing of beauty”, but it can be forgiven as it proves how much it can help the dog to be a welcome addition to the household!

Does a Crate Always Work?

Unfortunatetly, NO. Although a crate can indeed be used successfully by most pet owners, there are always those animals which simply can and will not tolerate this form of confinement. This reaction is not nearly as common with a young puppy (but it does happen!) As with an adult dog, especially an “adoptee” of unknown background, a dog which may somehow have suffered a traumatic frightening experience while crated, or an unadaptable “senior citizen”. Some purebred breeds also have an aversion to crates. In some cases, a dog will use a crate readily as long as the door remains open, but wll object violently the moment it is closed and /or he is left alone. It should be stressed here, however, that these reactions definitley represent the exception rather than the rule, and that most average pet dogs can successfully train to use a crate.

If, despite every effort at positive conditioning and real firmness, a dog is obviously frantic or totally miserable when confined to a crate, forcing him to use one is indeed inhumane and can result in a real physical injury should he attempt to chew his way out.

Even though a crate may not always work, it IS always worth a try--because when it DOES prevent or solve a problem behaviour, it is truly the “best friend” you and your dog could ever have..

Author Credit:

This material has been furnished and prepared by the Nicki Meyer Educational Effort of Weston CT, and is based on information and experience gained by Mrs. Meyer during many years that she has provided dog crate information and rental seervice for pet owners in her area.

Crating The Puppy

A young puppy (8-16 weeks) should normally have no problem accepting a crate as his “own place”. Any complaining he might do at first is cased not by the crate, but by his learning to accept controls of his unfamiliar-new-enviroment. Actually, the crate will help make him adapt more easily and quickly to his new world.

How to use it.

Place the crate in a “people” area, the kitchen, if possible. For bedding, use an old towel or piece of old blanket which can be washed (should he have an accident) and some freshly worn unlaundered article of your clothing such as a tee shirt, old shirt, sweater, etc. Avoid putting newspaper in or under the crate, since its odour may encourage elimination; corrugated cardboard is better if there is no floor pan. A puppy need not be fed in the crate and will only upset a dish of water.

Make it very clear to children that the crate is NOT a playhouse for them, but a “special room”’ for the puppy, whose rights should be recognised and respected. However, you should accustom your puppy from the start to letting you reach into the crate at any time, lest he become overprotective of it.

Establish a “crate routine” immediately, closing the puppy in it at regular intervals during the day (his own chosen nap times will guide you) and whenever he must be left alone for up to three hours. Give him a chew toy for distraction (check with your veterinarian for a safe variety, i.e. nylabone) and be sure to remove collar and tags which could become caught in an opening. In the beginning during the night, leave the door open and newspapers nearby, in an enclosed area (bathroom, laundry room, hallway) until the puppy has become well adjusted to his new life and can control his bowels for a longer period of time.

Even if things don’t got too smoothly at first--Don’t weaken, don’t worry, be consistent, be firm and be very aware that you are doing your pet a real favour by preventing him from getting into trouble when left alone.

Increase the space inside the crate as the puppy grows so that he remains comfortable.

Even after a long period without a crate, a dog which has been raised in one will readily accept it again should the need arise for travel, illness, behaviour, etc. And may really welcome its return.

Crating an Adult Dog

Much of the usual problem behaviour of an older puppy(over six months) or an adult dog is caused by a lack of a feeling of security when left alone. Although a crate can fulfill this need, then hence hopefully solve the problems, it must still be introduced gradually, with every possible effort to be sure that the dog’s first association with it is very positive and pleasant.

How To Use It

If possible, buy, borrow, or rent a crate of adequate size. Place it in a location wherethe dog will definitely feel part of the family (though still have some privacy), secure the door open so that it can’t unexpectedlly shut and frighten him, and do not put in any bedding. Encourage the dog to investigate this new object rhoroughly, luring him inside by tossing “special” tidbits (cheese, liver, hot dog, etc. Which are even more tempting than regular dog treats) into the far end, then letting him turn and come back out-praising him enthusiastically. When he begins to enter the crate confidently, place his bedding and something of yours or a towel you have slept with inside and start coaxing him to lie down and relax, still using food if necessary. Continue this pattern for several days, encouraging him to use the crate as much as possible and shutting the door briefly while you sit beside him or there are people visible and/or audible nearby. Do not hesitate, however, to meet modest resistance with consistent firmness and authority so the dog will be aware of the behaviour you desire.

As soon as you feel confident that the dog will remain quietly in the closed crate (which could be from the beginning!) You may safely leave him alone. You may give him a chew toy or a safe bone to absorb his attention and be sure that he has nothing around his neck which may become caught. If you are uncertain or anxious, leave him at first for only a brief period (1/2 to 1 hour)until he has proven that he will not resist the confinement.

Good article. I've never crate trained any of my pups before and it's working brilliant for my little man. I got an expandable one and have just now increased his area size a couple of notches. 3 + weeks into it and no accidents. He sleeps from 9:00pm to around 6-6:30am which I think for a 12 week pup is pretty good. He's in his crate for 'down' time and sleep time. Rarely does he fuss going into and never for more than a minute. I read many articles on it and decided on the dividing crate system. More expensive but it's going to grow with him. I would imagine that it's not for everyone - I've had some people argue that it's cruel, however I think when you see a sleepy puppy retreat to the comfort and safety of a crate then you realise that it is a great tool. For me it also means that I know he's safe and not into things like electrical cords

post-11743-1201747494_thumb.jpg Parrot likes to perch on it too!