Puppy And Cat

Lateisha

:thumbsup: My 13 week old Cavalier is giving our cats a really hard time. He chases them to the point were they are so scared to come within feet of the house yard or house. They are stressed and losing weight.

I've told the pup off with a firm voice, sprayed water at him, but he just thinks it's a game and won't listen. As soon as he see's a cat he's off like a bullet.

We have 2 other dogs, a 6 year old Cav which we have never had a problem with and a 9 week old pup which is so gentle and doesn't attemp to chase the cats and rather let them approach her and she just rolls over. It's just the 13 week monster.

He has a totally different personality than my other two dogs, he is a real Bloke!!! He likes to bark alot, competing with the neighbors muts, (absolute disgraceful dogs no fault to the dogs, but to the owners)...

Any advice on what we should do??? We do love him dearly and try to keep him amuzed all day,....We currently have separated the cats from the dogs area, but I was hoping that they would eventually feel at home together. :(

Try spending some time introducing them in a quiet environment. When i did this i had the cat and dog inside (my cats only go outside on harness but you could do it outside if you want). Have one person with the dog and one with the cat, when they are being calm continually give them both praise and lots of treats. If the dog barks turn him around and walk a few steps away from that cat and say a firm "NO" (still give the cat treats/praise if it didn't try to run away). If you do this for a while it should improve, my cat and dog now touch noses and walk past each other with total calm.

I agree with poppys mum, about introducing them while in a contained, calm environment. My dogs will only chase the cats if they run!!! So if you can get the cats to accept the dog and not be afraid of it, maybe they won't run, giving the dog something to chase, which to a dog is quite normal!!!

I have 2 cats and 5 labradors and they all walk around outside together, they sniff each other and the dogs will give the cats the occassional lick, much to the cats disgust!! If the dogs run up to the cats when they are outside(5 labs running at you at once is quite disconcerting), my cats aren't afraid, so they don't run off, they usually just lay down and the dogs give them a sniff then go away, so the cat can hop up and go back to doing what he was doing.

Guest doggydo

My cat was scared at first. I just kept holding Holly when the cat come close cause everytime she would chase the cat.

She accepted her in the end and they become friends. Unfortunately my cat got run over 5 mths later and Holly felt a bit sad.

Personally I would continue to keep the cats and pup separated. Leave it up to the cats to choose when they want to be in contact with the pup. Keep pup on lead for controlled introductions....practice calm "sits" and food rewards or a game with a squeaky toy. If you let the pup chase the cats until he becomes "bored" you may well end up with a whole other problem when your cats start urinating inappropriately or getting UTIs as a result of stress.

My Dally adores the cats and play bows to them, offers toys to them and tries to play/chase. Despite his best intentions it can be very, very stressful for the cats. I set up the house so the cats can access most rooms and yet pup cannot. The kitchen is completely dog free and I place a couple of dining chairs in the doorway....cats can get in and out still. To the main bedroom, I have Zig's soft crate covering the doorway. The cats can enter and exit at will. When Zig is calmly lying down, the cats will often approach him for a good sniff and sleep in his bed and play with his toys whenever he is not around :)

At no time ever is Zig permitted to chase the cats.....although I suspect one of my Burmese is starting to see the fun side and is encouraging it :D Even if the cats are playing 'chasey' Ziggy is required to remain in his bed, next to my side.

It can take a lot of time, patience, consistency and hard work but I have no doubt that it's worth it in the end. I've been confined to bed rest for a few weeks....most days I am fortunate enough to have one cat in my arms, another in the crook of my knee and one mad Dally teen snuggled in his bed by my side :rainbowbridge:

• 1 month later...

I have a similar situation with my 13week old ridge x and my 6yr old cat. The cat is chasing the puppy, to the point the pup is so scared he wets himself.

I dont want the dog to be scared of the cat for ever more. Anyone have any ideas? :S

• 3 weeks later...

I would just stay calm, the cat will probably stop monstering when he feels he has instilled sufficient humility/grovelling fear.

When I had my first deerhound my cat used to shove him out of the way and take his dinner. Poor Fionn was terrified of him. But within a couple of years they were BFFs and would snuggle up together on the sofa.