C5 Vaccinations And Boosters

Maddy

One of our foster carers had a dog vaccinated at a vet we don't normally use and when she forwarded me his vaccination card, the vet had noted that Rani (3 year old dog) had recieved a C5 vaccination (although he hadn't bothered to note brand used or attach the stickers :love: ).

Beneath that, he had noted that Rani was due for another KC in one month :(

Our vet has never recommended a follow-up KC vaccination, what does everyone here think?

Would you give another KC vacc only a month after a C5?

My vet never notes the brand or attaches the vaccination stickers, only signs and ticks what vaccination has been done.

If needed I am sure he would note the brand, batch etc.

I think that a follow up KC vaccination is reccomended, after C5, if the history of the dog is not known. Basically following the puppy KC vaccination schedule. I suppose the vet is assuming that the dog has never been vaccinated, or has not been vaccinated for many years, so would have no prior KC immunity.

Guest doggydo

I use C5 also, my vet puts the sticker on. I only have been told to do a follow up the following year. When I got the C5 it was the booster shot.

The dog had previous vaccinations (required as a racing greyhound) so I can't see any reason to give a booster. The dog is now a pet, will live mostly inside and won't be boarded or exposed to many other dogs.

A C5 vaccine is for 5 canine diseases (hence C5). These are parvovirus, distemper and hepatitis (a C3) plus the 2 causes of kennel cough (KC) parainfluenza virus and bordatella.

If the dog had only had C3 vaccinations previously the C5 would be its first shot of KC so a booster of just these 2 would be necessary in one month.

I could be wrong but I think greyhounds are only required to have C3 vaccinations.

I hope this helps.