Obedience Training?

grrlpunk

We have been taking our girl for around 4 weeks now. She is a 5 month old dane cross. She is easily the naugthiest puppy in the class. She just can't listen when there are so many other pups around. But she is getting better each week and I can really see the difference in our at home training sessions. I think it is really worthwhile for owners and the solialisation aspect seems to be great for Willow.

thank you everyone.... it has been raining non stop where i live and i still havent had a chance to take her to lessons as they have all been cancelled. :laugh: i am hoping that this sunday will be the first as i have the day off work and hopefully the weather will be fine. i have been trying the triangle of temptation and it seems to be working well. she has a high drive for food which is good. anyway thank you for all your positive experiences. ill let you know how her first day goes. xx

I no longer treat for a sit or a stand, he's been doing them for ages and it's expected behaviour. I do treat for a stay, a drop (but not much anymore), a good heel as this has taken him a while to get the hang of, and any other new things I teach him.

And sometimes I just give him a treat as a surprise....cos he's my best mate. But the treat isn't always food....sometimes it's a rub on his chest, sometimes it's a squeaky toy. And he is always, always told what a good boy he is.

i treat for the recall, sit stays (coz sitting in the one spot for a few minutes at a time is VERY hard for kane.lol) and i use treats when we are doing the weaving so it distratcs him from maybe taking a bite at the other dog goin past.

Dog Obedience School Report - Week Three :D

We arrived early and approached the "off lead" park...(all fenced in)...where there were many BIG dogs romping.

The owners (of the Big Dogs) spotted us and invited us in ...I was scared...Maxine was eager :rofl:

The owners said to take her off the lead...so I did :eek:

Then there was 40 long minutes of running, romping, rolling, barking, sniffing, panting, lolling, and rollicking. :(

Maxine did really well....she managed to play with all the dogs without getting killed or even injured..LOL :rofl:

I met all the big dogs too :D

The owners were fantastic....they helped me look out for Maxine....but in no time all was rosy and friendly...I guess becasue all their dogs were SO VERY WELL TRAINED and happy and balanced.

This is something to aspire to with Maxine...it is great to have a goal :rofl:

Oh and the class was great....pieces of roast lamb work just as well as the sirloin :D

Edited by Budyjelle

That's a fantastic report! Isn't that a good feeling...your dog had a good time and so did you. I love meeting new "doggy" people, even just stopping to have a chat with another dog owner while I'm out walking.

Oh, by the way....small dogs and puppies don't realise they're smaller than the big dogs. I have an elderly Lhasa Apso who's alway been of the assumption that she's 3/4 Mastiff and I currently have a 10 week old puppy who thinks she's as big as our one year old Australian Shepherd.

That's a fantastic report! Isn't that a good feeling...your dog had a good time and so did you. I love meeting new "doggy" people, even just stopping to have a chat with another dog owner while I'm out walking.

Oh, by the way....small dogs and puppies don't realise they're smaller than the big dogs. I have an elderly Lhasa Apso who's alway been of the assumption that she's 3/4 Mastiff and I currently have a 10 week old puppy who thinks she's as big as our one year old Australian Shepherd.

How long until Dusty starts training? Did you find a vet to do the needles?

How long until Dusty starts training? Did you find a vet to do the needles?

No vet yet. I will call in to see the one on the highway tomorrow and see if they will do it. If so, she'll start in about a month.