Pull Toy

Hello all

I adopted two dalmatians at the start of this year, and they've never really learnt to play with toys. As part of dog school, I would like to teach them to use a tug toy and I'm wondering if anyone has any hints on how to encourage them to play with the toys? What's worked for others? I'm wary of being too much in their face with toys, I don't want it to become a chore.

Cheers,

I had a pup who did not know how to play with toys. The behaviourist told me to do this.

Give the pup a toy that is only hers for five minutes at a time, up to twice a day. At the same time I also gave my boy a toy which was only his to play with. Both toys were brand new ones so it did not have the other dogs scent on it. Each dog had its own toy, they were not allowed to pinch each others toy (I watched them) and at the end of the 5 minutes (and no longer) I always put the toy away and out of sight.

It really works :laugh: Within a couple of weeks my girl starting running around madly squeaking toys, tugging and carrying fluffy toys around - I was amazed. And I have kept her 'special toy' (which was a little catnip octupus fluffy thing) which she still loves best of all.

I would love to know how it actually does work - When I got told to do it I thought it was a silly idea.

I wouldnt worry about teaching them to play with a tug toy - once they learn to use toys I doubt they will need to learn how to wrestle over them! :rofl:

I have one of these, among other things, and have found that moving it around (always away from the dog) really gets a dog going, gets the desire to chase and catch going. You can really move it fast and excite the dog's interest. It's good for the softer, submissive or timid dog as these dogs may not want to tug close to your body ("it's OK, you can have it" they seem to say), and this gives some distance.

I've started a few dogs off playing with this toy, from a timid rescue who developed a very big desire for toys, to puppies.

Something like this could be useful - you could make something like this if you wanted to. Although it's not too expensive even with shipping.

After learning to enjoy this, I generally move the dog onto a long plaited tug toy as I can create movement with that too. And experiment with others ... the dogs tell me what is their favourite. I have built up a fair old collection of dog toys, esp. tug toys, including sheepskin, rabbit fur, squeaky, and so on. Kong Wubbas are good for squeaking, throwing, tugging.

Edited by sidoney