Age For Agility?

PomPup

"Pre-agility" training can start at any age. Full jump height training should wait until they are fully physically mature (growth plates closed) and that varies according to the dog's breed and a range of other factors.

My club won't take dogs for obstacle training before 14 months of age.

My vet recommends no weaving before 12 months of age.

You cannot compete with a dog under 18 months of age.

Edited by poodlefan

Jumping should not be done prior to 12 months, so as not to damage growing joints :noidea: You can practice with bars on the ground, but I don't think they should be higher than elbow height.

There is PLENTY you can start doing without jumping though :confused: Starting as early as you like:

Teaching stays, sits, drops etc

Teaching them to run on either side of you and not cross behind you (circle work / flat work)

Also getting them used to tunnels, and having moving surfaces under their feet, such as a low wobble board, also your local club may offer a puppy class which may have baby equipment such as a baby A-frame, and baby see saw etc. :laugh:

Another thing to work on is an excellent recall. Your dog needs to listen and watch you the whole time with distractions at all angles.

The very first obedience club I joined would not accept dogs into agility training until they had passed level 4 of obedience.

If you dont want to do obedience classes though, just try an agility club and see what the requirements are.

The dog club I belong to wont let you to agility training until the dog is 12 months old at least, this is because the don't have the equipment suitable for pups. You can do obedience training as soon as they are fully vaccinated though.