Toilet Train A Shar Pei Pup

LostBoy

He's soooo adorable! Look at all those wrinklies! Very cute...

Maybe you need to go back to crate training 101, and start from the beginning with him- the crate should just be big enough for him to stand up and turn around in, that way he won't be tempted to pee in there or he would have to sit in it.

There are a lot of good threads on here on crate training, it's a process, but worth it in the end...

Hi LB,

I hope for your pup's sake that he has decided to relieve himself :rofl:

The photos are fabulous! You are fortunate you are able to get some fantastic shots. Our Puli is incredibly hard to photograph even when on a contrasting background .. with black it is incredibly difficult to distinguish her features.

On the crate issue .. I shut the door of the crate (which is in a pen in the kitchen) last night on Noodle ... well, ... what a terrible racket she made .. very VERY upset! :rofl: I put liver treats in there and some biscuits but she was NOT impressed :mad I ignored her for about 30min but she only settle a few times (for about 2 minutes at a time) and the rest of the time we were worried she would wake up the kids! In the end I opened the crate next time she was quiet and praised her quietness. Noodle then wouldn't sleep in the pen at all she was so worked up... I ended up putting her outside and she slept there last night. Tonght I tried again and we went out for about 1.5 hours (I find it difficult to deal with her crying :p and I know persistence is the key) and when we got home she had been asleep and happily came out (without any fuss from us) and went for a lovely walkpups ... exhausting but fantastic! :p

Great photos!! Love those gorgeous wrinkles.

Re toilet training. The crate is a great way to go. If you are having trouble with whining barking carrying on I'm afraid you have to ignore it. Reassuring the little darling only makes them worse!!! They do settle down after a while and get used to the crate. They will rarely pee and poop in their own den which is what the crate becomes. Just make sure that there is not excess room in the crate so that they can use their bladder/bowels.

I'm afraid the surface that pups prefer to toilet on is usually hardwired into them by about 4 weeks of age. So if your pup was using grass at it's breeders that may be why it prefers the grass at your friends place and why you are having a hard time at your apartment with the pads.

Pups usually don't have full control of their bladder and bowels till 6 months, even when we think they're housetrained they can still have an accident when they are excited, playing or scared.

Are you using an enzyme spray to remove the scent of the urine/faeces from the rugs? If not he will continue to think that this is a toilet area as their sense of smell is so much better than ours and even when we think it is clean they can still smell it!!!!

Have fun and remember it will just take time as everyone has said!

Edit - forgot to mention putting a (puppy) kong filled with kibble and sealed with cream cheese or peanut butter is a good way to keep them quiet when you first put them into the crate, it gives them something to do!! My pup has a look of sheer bliss when she tucks into her kong with her little bit of cream cheese!!

Edited by Jigsaw

Noodlenut, unfortunately, by letting her out of the crate while she was crying, you have made it clear to her that if she cries and makes loads of noise, she will be rewarded by your attentions!!

It's really difficult to hear a little puppy crying, but I promise you, from experience, it pays off in the end... a few nights of disruption you and family is better than years of doggie domination!

We have always had Gomez's crate in the bedroom, next to the bed, and that way he knew he was still part of the pack, but was also confined to avoid accidents. To this day, his crate is still in the bedroom, but the door is off now, he uses it as his bed with lots of fluffy pillows in it

10:00 PM update

Hiro woke up and I put him in the bathroom. As usual....nothing.

I took him out and was preparing myself to go downstairs (leash,plastic bag,etc). He then squat on the rug and wee there :rofl:

I then took him downstairs and after walking around sniffing for a fair 10 minutes....I was near desperate and was walking him back to the apartment. Then Hiro did his squat :rofl: He did a big one too!!!!

I've just finished playing with him and he looks happy as well as I am. One step further to success (hopefully). Will take him back again tonight at 12.30 before I go to bed and I'll put him in his pen.

I just can't get over it, I mean how come an 8 weeks old pup can hold not eliminating for 12 hours :shock: One Shar pei breeder said some shar peis are like this.

Jigsaw - I've just bought Urine Off today. I will wash the rugs, clean the carpet tomorrow and will spray some of Urine Off to the base carpet.

Thanks heaps everyone. Will keep you updated :mad

That's great he went outside!! Well done Hiro!

I'm not sure how big he is, I have never seen a Shar Pei puppy in person, but what used to work for us was carrying Gomez downstairs instead of letting him walk on his own, then he didn't even have a chance to pee inside before he got outside - also, we used to have all the essentials always ready by the door - we would ready for the walk, grab coats, leash, bags, etc... and THEN take him out of is crate -

If he didn't go while we were out, back in his crate he went for 1/2 hour, and then the whole procedure to go out again - if he didn't go, he didn't get to roam free.

If you see him starting to squat inside the apartment, quickly say NO in a firm voice and scoop him up and hurry outside, don't let him finish inside - he won't pee on you. Then when you do et outside and he finishes, big praise!

Also, are you giving him loads of praise and really good treats when he does go outside?

Urine Off is great, use it often, then he won't eb able to smell where he has gone before...

Some updates:

Copy pasted from Shar Pei thread.

7.42AM

Hiro slept through the night probably because the trip we had to my friend's house. All I did was waking every couple of hours to see if he's asleep and he was.

I took him out from the crate and put his leash on. While waiting for the lift, he peed :shock: As soon as we got downstairs, he peed again. I praised him and give him a small treat.

I've just given him breakky and will take him downstairs in about 5 minutes time.

BB - Which one do you think is better? The sand/dirt or the fake grass? I'm going to the hardware store today and probably get some. I think it's a good idea if it works because it will save time to wait for the lift, walk him out the building,etc.

Off to do another session with Hiro now

Ciao

8:05AM

Yayyy....he pooed!!!!!

It took him about 10 minutes sniffing here and there. At times, he was squatting and somehow he changed his mind. This time he pooed on the pavement. As usual, I pat him, gave heaps of praise and a small treat.

One thing though, perhaps next time I should wait longer after he peed because when I was checking my mailbox, he weed on the floor. Wierd pup

He's just finished playing now and sleeping in his pen area on a bean bag.

Time for me to shower, chuck the rugs in the washing machine then off to Bunnings.

BB - My apologies, I missed the part when you mentioned to carry him out. Will carry him down from now on. I agree with the poo size, I've been thinking about it and my colleagues also mentioned that. I can't imagine having chunky beef sausages and champagne drips on my carpet when he grows up:eek:

Edited by LostBoy

Noodlenut, unfortunately, by letting her out of the crate while she was crying, you have made it clear to her that if she cries and makes loads of noise, she will be rewarded by your attentions!!

It's really difficult to hear a little puppy crying, but I promise you, from experience, it pays off in the end... a few nights of disruption you and family is better than years of doggie domination!

We have always had Gomez's crate in the bedroom, next to the bed, and that way he knew he was still part of the pack, but was also confined to avoid accidents. To this day, his crate is still in the bedroom, but the door is off now, he uses it as his bed with lots of fluffy pillows in it

I agree, stupid me picked a very bad night to decide to shut the door on the crate for the first time (I am ususally pretty good at planning but did not envisage she would 'go off' to the point of keeping the entire house awake at 11pm!!) ... hence I had to wait until she calmed down to be able to let her out. At least I did that right! She didn't come out until she was quiet of her own accord. I started again last night (Fri) and again different times today - she is in the crate as I type ... started with a yummy chicken neck ... sat happily and ate it all as it was dinner time and then started up .. it is only 6:30pm and she has carried on for 10 minutes and now settled down (we have all completely ignored her!) .. she seems to be happy t the moment even though I don't want to look :laugh:

This is a long weekend so I am hoping by the time we get to Monday night we will have turned the corner .... fingers crossed.

Copy pasted from Shar Pei thread

Goooooood morning everyone

How's everyone (including peis) doing?

Going to be another hot day here in Melbourne. I've been having enough sleep for the last two nights Hiro's been behaving well and is having less and less accidents inside the house. He nows pee on the balcony and only if he's done his job that I would let him in the living room.

Last night I had the balcony door opened - there's a door that connects the hallway/Hiro's pen to the balcony -. When I woke up to the loo, Hiro went outside to the balcony and wee there. It was quite windy and as I don't like cold weather, I closed the balcony door. 10 minutes later I heard him whining and I was Turns out he was still outside

When I take him downstairs, he knows what to do and I do the same (pat, praise,treat ). Funny thing is, I notice when he doesn't feel like going to the toilet downstairs, he keeps pulling me towards the apt's entrance or as soon as he finishes his job, he'd pull me there.On the way back to the house (passing main entrance, in the lift and before I open the door), I would ask him to sit and he would obey such an obedient pup

I've got a silly questions to you all. What do you actually do with your peis daily? I mean, apart from training, meeting other dogs (friends' dogs and their vaccinations are up to date) making silly faces, sounds and do silly movements, what else do you do with your peis? (especially as a pup, I can't take him for a walk in the park yet). Then you would have your own activities, such as your job, house cleaning and what have we. Hiro usually ends up sleeping on his doggy mat or chewing his toys as he spends his puppy stage. Living as a dog must be boring hey?

I agree, stupid me picked a very bad night to decide to shut the door on the crate for the first time (I am ususally pretty good at planning but did not envisage she would 'go off' to the point of keeping the entire house awake at 11pm!!) ... hence I had to wait until she calmed down to be able to let her out. At least I did that right! She didn't come out until she was quiet of her own accord. I started again last night (Fri) and again different times today - she is in the crate as I type ... started with a yummy chicken neck ... sat happily and ate it all as it was dinner time and then started up .. it is only 6:30pm and she has carried on for 10 minutes and now settled down (we have all completely ignored her!) .. she seems to be happy t the moment even though I don't want to look :rofl:

This is a long weekend so I am hoping by the time we get to Monday night we will have turned the corner .... fingers crossed.

How's Noodle going so far?

I know how you feel when it's late at night and you just feel like doing anything to keep the pup quiet and not getting your neighbour pissed. I was in that situation too when Hiro first got here last week and had to confine him and it was made worse since I live in apartment. Luckily my neighbours are very nice people. Besides, I've never complained when their put their home theatre on at 2:00 AM in the morning :rofl:

Edited by LostBoy

How's Noodle going so far?

I know how you feel when it's late at night and you just feel like doing anything to keep the pup quiet and not getting your neighbour pissed. I was in that situation too when Hiro first got here last week and had to confine him and it was made worse since I live in apartment. Luckily my neighbours are very nice people. Besides, I've never complained when their put their home theatre on at 2:00 AM in the morning :)

Thanks for asking LB :)

I have had two nights now where she has gone in her crate ... sat down and not a peep ... 11pm until 6am!!! We have turned the corner!! I decided day visits to the crate were a good idea when we were home and sometimes when we were out (so that the crate was not associated with any particular time of the day or night... much easier to ignore the crying and carry on during the day when every one is awake any way and pre-occupied with doing other stuff.

I put her out this morning and I thought I could hear her wimpering a bit later - she had got under the side gate (a pool fence) and was in teh driveway (secured by a rollerdoor on the carport so she wasn't going anywhere) and couldn't get back under ... silly mutt!

Persistence is definately the key to crating, toilet training etc!

It has been so hot today that Noodle has been inside most of the day sprawled out on the kitchen floor. She went for a walk to get the newspaper this morning with my husband (only 5 houses up) and a couple of rounds of fetch and that is it. She will brighten up a bit later this evening when it is not so hot. Being a Puli she has plenty of energy that needs to be exerted.

I agree neighbours are a concern. Hence why I have tried to do the 'habit changing stuff' during the day...bit easier on the ears. Mind you she was out there carrying on before... a piece of paper blowing in the breeze .... nutty Noo!! Any more photos of Hiro? Mine are under PULI! on the breed subpages.